[iDC] Re: [iDC Digest] MySpace as hotbed of media activism (TreborScholz)

rherbst at journalofaestheticsandprotest.org rherbst at journalofaestheticsandprotest.org
Thu May 31 18:48:46 EDT 2007

trebor,
First thanks for posting that article.

Second: I can't make the case for "media activism" for the social website,
but the use of myspace is well documented
as an  organizing tool between youth during the Chavez Day and May day
walkouts in the US. One only has to search
for this stuff in myspace to see how they were used to sign up students and
schools for action.

While I am completely in support of Lovink and Rossiter's skepticism with
the instances of "tyranny of
structurelessness" of these new media, these walkouts are surely an
exception probably because of the hybrid
relationship to structure/structurlessness. With student organizations in
more active schools creating meatspace
structures and affirming/confirming certain kinds of leaderships and
principles along with outside student centered
groups (possibly the group BAMN) the peer sites were/are used to facilitate
the virus.

That myspace was/is used so effectively by minority youth in schools (a
population whose circumstances frequently
demand active political involvement in discourses around material
conditions) in this manner is pretty natural. That
the population has both cultural and material investments in the issues
(youth justice/MYspace) seems to cut agains
the grain of more abstract/alienated politacal/social endeavors.

robby herbst