[iDC] Re:From Counter Culture to Cyber Culture

Fred Turner fturner at stanford.edu
Fri May 11 21:44:27 EDT 2007

Hi All,

         Thanks Trebor and all for such a thoughtful engagement with
the book. I want to offer a couple of clarifications and maybe a
provocation or too and see how they sound.

         First, yes, I do think the influence of the anti-war
movement on the winding down of that war was less than many think it
was now. At the same time, I think the anti-war movement was
enormously important  morally and socially and that it transformed
American culture in other ways and continues to. I've addressed some
of this at length in my first book, Echoes of Combat: The Vietnam War
in American Memory.

         I also want to be sure that it's clear that I'm not
anti-activist. On the contrary -- it's partly because I want activism
to be effective, and to understand the ways in which it really has
and hasn't changed things, that I study the things I do.

         That said, let me clear up one other misconception of my
views. I don't think activists -- in the '60s or now -- face a binary
choice of working inside the system or outside it. What I do think a
lot of my research has shown is that large institutions can
concentrate, preserve and deploy material power in ways that are very
hard to combat with voices alone. At Kent State, the state had the
guns; the anti-war marchers didn't. When the National Guard shot at
the demonstrators, they went a long way toward quieting the anti-war
movement. Today, despite all sorts of protests, the IMF is still able
to deploy resources with a power unlike anything a distributed
network of activists have so far been able to muster. And part of
their ability to do that is simply because they are not a distributed
network. They are a bureaucracy -- organized by rules and
regulations, able to outlive their individual members, and able to
claim financial and other material resources on that account. Do
protestors have to join the IMF to beat them? Of course not. Will
protestors be able to substantially alter the course of IMF policy
only by demonstrating -- that is, displaying, even en masse -- their
dissatisfaction with the institution? I doubt it. In this respect,
it's worth taking a page from the environmental movement. I don't
believe that activists need to fight from within (on the contrary: I
think that very idea is a canard left over from the '60s, about which
more in a minute). I do think they need to form organizations that
can persists in time, collect and deploy material resources
effectively, and most important of all, reach out to people who might
otherwise not be natural members of social movements and enlist them
in making change.

         So, about the inside/outside problem. One of the most
pernicious legacies of the 1960s in my view is the notion that object
of our protests, the enemies of our freedom, are hierarchy and
bureaucracy, and that the alternative, the site and source of
freedom, is the expressive social network. This view is full of
problems on its face -- bureaucracies for instance were formed in
order to create rule-based systems of social inclusion that could
replace the far more exclusive use of cultural and social capital
within feudalism; the notion that self-expression alone is a force
equal to the material power deployed against it is romantic in the
extreme; the sense that simply by virtue of being networks social
networks are in fact open and inclusive is likewise overdone. Each of
these are points it took me 350 pages to make and properly support --
I humbly urge folks looking for a substantial case to visit my book.
But for the purposes of our discussion, a brief summary: in the
1960s, the counterculture was not in fact a unified youth movement.
While the New Left did politics to change politics, marching, forming
SDS and other groups, engaging with institutions, the New
Communalists (whom Brand founded the Whole Earth Catalog to serve)
turned away from politics and toward technology, shared consciousness
and communication. They believed that these things would be
sufficient to form an alternative social world, one that could be
brought into being on backwoods communes, and that once that world
existed, it would set an example that the straight world could and
would follow.

         Well, it didn't work out that way. Most communes collapsed
very early, and depended on subsidies from their wealthy,
college-aged, largely white membership until they did. In the place
of rules and regulations, many found themselves governed by charisma,
hustle, and those who could muster the most cool. In other words,
they didn't do away with politics; rather, they drove it out of
sight, away from the realm of rules that could be challenged and into
the cultural sphere, the realm of personality and attitude, in which
it couldn't. Challenge Kesey on the bus? Uncool. Call out a
long-haired bully at Drop City? Uncool. Challenge the largely male,
heterosexual dominance of many rural communes? Nope.

         This hope for alternative and improved communities built
around small-scale technologies, communication and social networks
dominates much discussion of the web today. And in some ways, it has
been very empowering. The barriers to entry to participation in
dialogues have never been lower. But there are still barriers. In
lieu of bureaucracy, many systems work, as communes did, on the basis
of interpersonal connections and cultural affinity. Many still do a
very bad job of reaching out to people unlike themselves -- which I
take to be one of the best tests of an effective social movement and
as an effective way to distinguish one from a technologically enabled
salon. When social practice is organized around performance -- of
style, of personality, of communication -- rather than the search for
and pressing of levers for material social change, my sense is that
personality and charisma, social and cultural capital, tend to
dominate and to exclude. And even where they don't, communicative
communities, detached from persistent and organized means for
claiming and deploying material resources, remain insufficient for
making social -- as opposed to cultural or symbolic or intellectual -- change.

         One last thought: My book has often been misread as arguing
that the hippies brought us contemporary cyberculture. In fact, what
I argue is that a technology-based mode of networked sociability
emerged during World War II at the epicenter of military research
culture, and especially at MIT. The New Communalist wing of the
counterculture embraced that style and over the next thirty years
translated it not only into a story about how computers would
liberate us (by making all of us part of the network society born in
small arenas during the war) but also into a very powerful way of
influencing key American institutions (such as the Pentagon and major
corporations). As I try to show in the book, we may imagine that by
participating in communication networks we are de facto opposing the
centers of power in our world. But networks, technology, and
communication are at the heart of power today, as they were fifty
years ago. Now however, they carry with them the cultural legitimacy
of bohemian cool. In this sense, contemporary styles of communicative
activism often look to me like celebrations, rather than critiques,
of the contemporary organization of power. The work of some groups --
Critical Art Ensemble, for instance -- notwithstanding, it's been a
long time since I've seen truly dangerous art.

         I'm still looking though.

Best,
Fred

Fred Turner