[iDC] faux radicality

Bernard Roddy bproddy at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 09:18:19 EDT 2007

Oh, man, you're right, Trebor, this really burns.  And there better be a damn good reason to be taking this route.  Let's hope you're out there in the trenches talking to the people who are really paying the price.  Faux radicality.  How do you tell the faux from the real?  Let's see some faces and incomes.  Oh, man. . .  I remember back in Buffalo we ran into each other at a campus Starbucks.  I had just made my first post to a list you began there with grad students.  I had written about Hal Foster, and in person you said he started out radical, but then . . How does this happen?  Is it the university?  Maybe it all depends on who your friends are, where your allegiances rest.  I mean, let's just haul up here someone who thinks that slavery enabled the black population in the U.S. to enter the middle class.  Somewhere Deleuze talks about two kinds of forgetting.  One kind is the Nietschean that enables movement.  The past is constructed today, and you get the past you ask
 for.  Faux radicality.  Damn, Trebor, let's see some signs of engagement other than a stupid list serve discussion.  What are we calling progress or success here?  Why manipulate this into a critique of binary thinking?  Here's a Chicago effort, for the hell of it:

  http://www.areachicago.org/main_pages/current.htm

  Another question: who exactly do we have in mind when we talk about change?  Which populations?  And can we at least make reference to some language that is going to be useful?  I mean, is there theorizing going on here?  Jesus.

  Bernie

Message: 2