[iDC] misogynist search engines?

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Wed May 9 16:54:11 EDT 2007

Sullivan wrote:
> So, the question again is about why this algorithm is generating these
> particular results, who designed this algorithm, in what social context?
> does this mean something about the possibilities for seemingly neutral
> software to encode distinct cultural biases?

Well there is certainly a gender bias in the development team that
created the search bot initially: two guys.
    http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html

Google tends to recruit much of their coding talent from the FLOSS
arena: alpha-male boy's club.
    http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/184415216

There is also evidence and surveys that indicate a preference for C and
C++ languages in men, both likely used for programming parts of the
ranking algorithm for efficiency and speed reasons.

But even if we assume a "neutral" algorithm, it still operates on real
world data ... which is biased since the days of the Bible when Moses
dropped 2 of the 12 commandments. So no surprises here. Just another
form of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb effect.

The issue I have with validating Google as an interesting "microscope"
on social research, is that it is scientifically worthless in most cases
- irrespective of who made it - since it is a black box algorithm and
nobody knows how it actually works.

--Andreas