[iDC] Agency (was Re: THE ANTI WEB 2.0 MANIFESTO)

R Labossiere admin at klooj.net
Tue May 8 03:09:19 EDT 2007

You are right Michel; we don't share the same framework... I should have been more clear... I am working in, and interested in agency theory in relation to, the visual arts... which is not a p2p environment, nor virtual particularly at all, but because my milieu is creative, and driven largely by volunteerism, I feel the questions around distribution of creativity are similar...

however, if I've strayed too far off-list, pls let me know and we can discontinue this thread

Part of the reason I think there is common cause here is that I share your conviction that virtual p2p is affecting physical processes; we see it all around us... there is increasing integration of virtual apparatus into physical processes and with that integration art is produced more quickly, becomes known to more people more quickly, and changes faster. And there is also a change in "the weather"... the 'zeit geist' - ways of thinking and attitudes today favour mobility, portability, transience, fluidity, immediacy, responsiveness, reflexiveness, reactivity, engagement.

With respect to your ideas about efficiency, there is also common ground. In the visual arts, we certainly find abundance, sometimes more imagined than actual, but still, cultural production is a kind of surplus productivity -- and it is also driven by "passion capital" (a great term btw).

For me the key para. of your post is, interestingly, the caveat, bracketed:
> (But it comes at a price. While it is collectively sustainable (as long as the passion capital
> of those who leave the project can be replaced by newcomers), it is not individually
> sustainable. This key problem requires social institutional solutons).

Exactly so for the vast majority of artists, even the most successful, who drift in and out of studio-based production while "making a living" from teaching, commercial art or other forms of employment, and/or are subsidized by family members. The art world is constantly fed by younger artists, to the point that we have practically created a cultish status here in Canada around what is called the "emerging" artist; no one asking what exactly they emerge "as" or "into" afterwards.

I too suspect that the solution is institutional and social and that is, for me, the reason for the agency enquiry.

For example, we do find some institutional relief to this "unsustainability" here in Canada where we have a fairly well-developed (though always inadequate) system of multi-level state funding for the arts. The network of institutions that provide support includes, state arts funding agencies that provide personal grants to artists and to artist-run alternative spaces, public galleries, public museums, public art fairs and even some business-type subsidies to private galleries. All these institutions have social aspects; they act in agent-like ways, or, if you will, act sometimes more like principals, engaging artists like agents to represent their institutional programs.

With respect to your last para. aren't questions of leadership and heirarchies moot if the first problem, of basic sustainability can't be answered? Otherwise, you have communities that develop flatter, more inclusive, political processes but which finally can't serve the very people who are creating them because those people have to move on.

If political effectiveness is to be realized as a result of p2p networks, don't they have to become financially rewarding?

Finally, I don't know whether to bring it up here, now, but I do have one more nagging question, terrible to leave it to the end like this, and perhaps stray even futher afield, but...

Lately I'm feeling like there is another dark side to "passion capital." Whether in YouTube or Second Life or just filesharing, one creates at the same time that one consumes. I write here because it entertains me to do so as much as I feel I am also being productive. So I have misgivings, that something about p2p is equivalent to hobbies like scrapbooking or model railroading or collecting Barbis? We don't consider those to be particuarly creative, nor do we think of them politically despite the fact that they all have rather large user groups who develop consensus about standards and likely share many of the same values. Yet, we tend to accept these more simply as kinds of surplus activity pursued without concern for compensation by people who can afford the time and the materials.