[iDC] Re: Thank you to Andrew for Permission to use complexity theory, FEAR!

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun May 6 11:29:46 EDT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 16:47:10 -0700
> From: Andrew Keen <ak at aftertv.com>
> Subject: Re: [iDC] Re:From Counter Culture to Cyber Culture: The
>         "Utopian"       thing.....
> To: Ryan Shaw <ryanshaw at ISchool.Berkeley.EDU>
> Cc: Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com>, idc at mailman.thing.net
>
> you guys can dress all this up in complex theory,

SamRose: Thank you for the permission to employ complexity theory in my
attempt to understand complex systems. I was really worried there for a
minute that you were going to deny me the permission to use theories about
complex systems to understand complex systems. ;-)

but when what Kelly
> wants to do is turn everyone into Justin TV.

SamRose: No. This is only what technology makes possible. Chances are real
good that as the technology becomes cheaper, smaller, and more connected, it
*will* happen, whether you want it to or not. So, the question becomes: what
are you going to do about it?

While Brand views humanity
> as just another platform for technological innovation.

SamRose: Humans have always been the origin of technological innovation.
When Brand talks about people getting "steamrolled into the road", he is
saying that a pervasive literacy of technologies will help people.

Example (one of millions): In 1939, if the Polish people understood the
technological issues hey faced n their showdown with the Nazis, if they had
a literacy of nazi developments mobile warfare technology and it's
possibilities, they may have planned for, and acted differently in the face
of Nazi aggression. Modern network information technologies make it harder
for nations states to have this

Example: If the US military had literacy of modern communications
technology, and the way that they are being used by insurgent groups, they
would have been better prepared to deal with the insurgency they now face in
Iraq

Example: If parents had better literacy of communications technologies, they
would have learned earlier about the threat to their children posed by
social networking sites like myspace.com

Because of lack of technological literacy, these groups and people were
steam rolled by inevitable progressions and evolutions in technology

What Fred's book
> does really well is identify the intellectual origins of all this.
> Whether one calls it "utopianism" or not isn't the issue. These are
> radical idealists with a really scary agenda.

I plan on reading Fred's book. But, is the "scary agenda" really the
conclusion that Fred's book makes?

Also, Andrew, is it possible that you fear that which you do not understand?
Is that why this "agenda" is scary to you?

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com