[iDC] Art, Lifestyle & Globalisation

Alan Clinton reconstruction.submissions at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 23:02:19 EDT 2007

A couple of thoughts here related to the questions you have posed.  First,
the rhetoric of purity (is there an outside of capitalism?) can be, I think,
an endgame producing the sort of corporate artists Stallabras describes and
those who are overly concerned that they may make a mistake with their art
(or their theory)--no one wants to be called a hypocrite.

The problem of artists, intellectuals, and capitalism is a real one.  Should
I refuse to teach at the Georgia Institute of Technology because of its ties
to the military industrial complex?  If I had refused, when I was just out
of graduate school, I would have had little opportunity to critique the
system in anything resembling a full-time way--I wouldn't have had those
impressionable students either.  But then, if I had gone too far in my
critiques, I would have been fired.  Artists, it strikes me, are in a
similar position.  How to survive in an organism long enough to destroy or
recreate it?

Rather than attempting to start from a position of purity, perhaps we should
recognize that people will find themselves starting out from various
positions of impurity within the system.  And, there will be many ways of
working against this system, of speaking to it in ways that I call,
borrowing one of Derrida's metaphors, "Tympanic Politics":

"In his elucidation of marginalia as a discipline unto itself, Derrida gives
a poetic anatomy of the tympanic membrane and its surroundings.  The ear is
swirling, labyrinthine, and cavelike.  Penetrating its depths presents a
difficult, frightening prospect.  In addition to traversing a maze of
passages, one must confront the wall of the tympanum which has the
capability to muffle the loudest of noises.  If normative discourse/art does
not reach the inner ear with the proper sense of volume or urgency, then how
is one to suggest the political or historical importance of a particular
issue?  For the alternative would be to shock the system in such a way as to
puncture the tympanum altogether, effectively dismantling the apparatus so
that nothing can be heard at all.  It would be as if Constantin Brancusi, on
the verge of rejecting Rodin's method of clay modeling with taille directe,
had shattered The Craiova Kiss with the first hammer strike into formless
stone.  Derrida's answer to such questions, of course, is always a more
specific anatomy of the situation at hand.  He suggests that since the
tympanum is oblique with respect to the ear canal, its subversion requires
an oblique approach as well (taille indirecte?), some form of rhetorical
ambush.  How does one 'unhinge' something that cannot be shattered?"

Alan Clinton