[iDC] Virtual Worlds, Education, & Labor

patrick lichty voyd at voyd.com
Sun Mar 4 23:12:58 EST 2007

As mentioned before, I'm not totally convinced about the whole L thing,
but it seems to be my area of research, and where I seem to be located.

And as new Columbia College island admin, I made a few decisions.

First, admissions asked if we could do a reconstruction of the campus.

Personally, I don't understand this.  It's very odd that human
architecture remains in a space where you can fly, etc.

My vision for the Columbia site is a place for experimentation, live
media streaming, and for information dissemination to prospective
students and existing ones. My department teaches 3D modelin and game
design, and it makes sense for us to use Sl at this time, and better to
put the fine artists in charge ;)

Therefore, no virtual representation of the physical campus.  Period.

However, I intend to have galleries for our annual festival, links to
departments and information, virtual t-shirts, departmental sandboxes,
and media servers.  Hopefully, our architecture will depend more on
small textures than geometry, like Emily Carr.  That way, we can look at
basics of form, and concentrate on function.

Makes no sense to duplicate the physical in the virtual, although a lot
of the rules are similar, many others are totally different.

Patrick Lichty
- Interactive Arts & Media
  Columbia College, Chicago
- Editor-In-Chief