[iDC] game culture (?) (!) (%#@) - Manhunt 2 and Resistance

matteo bittanti mbittanti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 15:16:16 EDT 2007

Andreas,

Great points indeed.

RE: "the latest debate about the classification of 'Manhunt
2' in the UK and its use of a cathedral for a FPS gorefest."

I wrote a few comments here <http://www.videoludica.com/news.php?news=653>and
here <http://www.videoludica.com/news.php?news=639>.

*Manhunt 2*
Following a de facto ban in the United Kingdom and in the United States and
Ireland, Italy has officially vetoed the release of *Manhunt 2*. The game
release was originally scheduled for July 13 2007.

Italy's Minister of Communications, Paolo
Gentiloni<http://www.paologentiloni.it/>,
has personally intervened to stop the release of *Manhunt 2*. "The game -
Gentiloni said - is not simply violent, but also cruel and sadistic, set in
a squalid environment and, thus, it is a incessant, unrelenting incitement
to violence and murder".

Incidentally, his words echo the evaluation made by David Cooke, director of
the BBFC. On June 19 2007, Cooke said: "*Manhunt 2* is distinguishable from
recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of
tone. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which
these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game." (Source: BBC
News <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/6767623.stm>
)

The original *Manhunt* was introduced in Italy in 2003 with a 18+ PEGI
rating. "The original, however - stated Gentiloni - did not have the same
alarming features of the second episode". The minister decided to ban the
game after being informed about the decision taken by the UK and Ireland. "I
have personally asked Take Two Italy to cancel the release of the game.
Moreover, I have asked ISFE - the Interactive Software Federation of
Europe<http://www.isfe-eu.org/>- to discuss this issue at a
continental level. ISFE's president - added
Gentiloni - has promptly responded that *Manhunt 2* is top priority on the
next meeting agenda, scheduled for June 26 2007 in Bruxells. Among the
participants is Viviane Reding, EC commissioner for the information society
and media. Although the average age of gamers in Italy is 28, we cannot
forget that videogames are very popular among the youngsters. And if
publishers are developing games for older and more mature generations, it is
necessary to protect the innocents".

Gentiloni's statement is highly contradictory. On one hand, he acknowledges
that today's gamers are mature and older than they used to be - thus, they
should be free to buy the games that they wish to play. On the other hand,
the Minister argues that the innocents, i..e. kids and teenagers, should be
protected. This is a *non sequitur*, obviously. The two statements are not
mutually exclusive. Instead of enforcing retailers to sell M-rated games to
mature gamers, Gentiloni - along with the UK and Ireland - has decided to
ban the game altogether.

Moreover, the thesis that *Manhunt* instigates players to commit acts of
violence and murder is ludicrous. This erroneous understanding of the
videogame medium as a "murder simulator" is extremely common, especially
among politicians, but has no scientific basis and the statistics on youth
crime bluntly contradict such claim. The game is being banned not on the
basis of its content but on the basis of its alleged consequences. As for
the content, it is questionable like any other controversial work of art -
yes, art. Thus, when Take Two chairman Strauss Zelnick states that "*Manhunt
2* is an entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and
horror. The subject matter of this game is in line with other mainstream
entertainment choices for adult consumers," (from BBC
News<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6225286.stm>),
he is absolutely correct.Bret Easton Ellis' American
Psycho<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psycho>can be bought in
any bookstore by anybody, even by a teenager. The same goes
for Dennis Cooper's graphic, sadistic and cruel
novels<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Cooper>.
Books do not even have a rating system. And yet, when a game tackles a
controversial theme, the public opinion is shocked and disgusted.

I have not played the game, thus I cannot comment on Gentiloni's claim that
the sequel has more "alarming features" than the original. We did express
some serious concerns about *Manhunt* in our collective book of game
criticism Understanding Videogames
(2005)<http://www.videoludica.com/catalogue.php?book=6>,
but we also felt - and feel - that censorship is wrong. *Gamespot*'s
contributors Ricardo Torres, Guy Cocker did see the game. This is what they
said<http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/manhunt2/news.html?sid=6172967&print=1>
:

"Based on what we played, *Manhunt 2* is shaping up to be a solid,
intriguing follow-up to the original. The game's violence and gore, which
have become the mother of all lightning rods for the title, are in full
effect. But, while they've been ramped up from the original game, they're
not exactly going to wreck Western civilization any more than, say, the *Saw
* and *Hostel* movies--or just about any other of the slasher flicks that
come in and out of vogue. What we saw was graphic for sure, and given a
slightly unsettling twist by the interactivity offered by the Wii game, but
ultimately it's nothing we haven't seen before in other games, movies, or
even some television." (Ricardo Torres, Guy
Cocker<http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/manhunt2/news.html?sid=6172967&print=1>,
*GameSpot*, Jun 21, 2007).

While Gentiloni's argument is both contradictory and unfounded, Sony and
Nintendo's positions about the nature of the medium are very clear. As we
all know, *Manhunt 2* will not be distributed in the US. This is indeed bad
news. Both game companies have stated that they do not approve, sell or
licenses games that carry the ESRB rating 'AO' (Adults Only)." Specifically,
Nintendo has reportedly said: "Please note that Nintendo does not sell or
license games that carry the ESRB rating 'AO' (Adults Only)." Meanwhile,
Sony US spokesman Dave Karraker has being quoted saying: "Currently it's
SCE's policy not to allow the playback of AO rated content on our systems."
(Source: CVG <http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=166333>).

This basically means: *Videogames are not equal to literature, film, and
other visual media*. Videogames are an inferior form of expression that
should not deal with controversial content. We - Nintendo and Sony - do not
support the production, promotion, or sale of games for adults, because
videogames are just for kids. If you are seeking for adult content, watch a
movie, read a novel, or go to see a play. Digital games are just a
sophisticated pastime.

The very fact that the major players in the industry are devaluating the
game medium is disparaging, although hardly surprising. While I do not find
*Manhunt* particularly interesting per se, I do admire Rockstar willingness
to push the boundaries and explore the "possibility space" offered by games
to an extreme. They embody the very notion of transgressive game design.

The role of the critic is to evaluate, analyze, and discuss cultural
artifacts, even - *especially* - those that are controversial, extreme, and
problematic. Rockstar Games issued a press release stating: "The stories in
modern videogames are as diverse as the stories in books, film and
television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand
that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more." It is hard
to disagree. By denying the public the access to *Manhunt 2*, game companies
and governments are acting in an extremely childish and immature way.

Question: will France act differently than the rest of Europe? In November
2006, Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres - the self-appointed French "minister of
video games" - stated that "People have looked down on video games for far
too long, overlooking <http://www.videoludica.com/news.php?news=432> their
great creativity and cultural value."

Q: Does this apply to *Manhunt 2* as well?

RE: *Manchester Cathedral vs Sony*

As I write this, the Manchester Cathedral is reportedly considering suing
Sony for copyright infringement and blasphemy regarding the use of the
Cathedral as a battlefield for *Resistance: Fall of Man*. This is not the
first time that Sony and the Church have collided.

In September 2005, a PlayStation2 campaign titled "The Passion of the Gamer"
ignited a major controversy in Italy. Following a unilateral condemnation by
the Vatican and by most, if not all, political parties, Sony Computer
Entertainment of Italy harshly removed all the printed ads and issued a
public apology <http://mbf.blogs.com/mbf/2005/09/the_last_passio.html>

In this case, however, the *querelle* concerns the very materiality of the
virtual worlds, rather than their promotional strategies. According to BBC
News <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6736809.stm>,
The Bishop of Manchester, Right Rev Nigel McCullough, described the decision
to feature the city's cathedral as a backdrop as "highly irresponsible" -
especially in the light of Manchester's history of gun crime. "It is well
known that Manchester has a gun crime problem," he told the BBC. "For a
global manufacturer to re-create one of our great cathedrals with
photo-realistic quality and then encourage people to have guns battles in
the building is beyond belief and highly irresponsible".

Right Rev McCulloch's statements are deeply flawed as they implicitly
suggest a direct link between simulated, fictional violence in videogames
and real violence in the city of Manchester. Such view, however, is not
surprising considering the Church's official stand on digital games. Last
January, as part of the annual papal message for World Communications Day,
titled "Children and the Media: A Challenge for Education," Pope Benedict
XVI discussed the media's effect on children, condemning the influence of
violence games and films on the
youngsters<http://www.videoludica.com/[link=http://news.com.com/Pope+condemns+violent+games/2100-1043_3-6153015.html>
:

"Any trend to produce programs and products--including animated films and
video games--which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray
antisocial behavior or the trivialization of human sexuality is a
perversion, all the more repulsive when these programs are directed at
children and adolescents" (Benedict XVI)

[The Pope's statement, by the way, was clearly motivated by the Rule
of Rose<http://www.videoludica.com/search.php?str=%A0rule+of+rose>scandal
that 'shocked' Italy just a month before - in other words, we are
witnessing a war of words - and worlds - between the Church and Sony,
between the real, the virtual, and the supernatural).

Meanwhile, Reverend McCulloch has demanded Sony's official excuses and the
removal of *Resistance: Fall of Man from the shelves*. The BBC also reports
that The Very Reverend Rogers Govender, the Dean of Manchester Cathedral,
said that the first-person shooter game is "undermining" the work of the
church:

"We are shocked to see a place of learning, prayer and heritage being
presented to the youth market as a location where guns can be fired. This is
an important issue. For many young people these games offer a different sort
of reality and seeing guns in Manchester Cathedral is not the sort of
connection we want to make. Every year we invite hundreds of teenagers to
come and see the cathedral and it is a shame to have Sony undermining our
work." (The Very Reverend Rogers Govender)

This issue is indeed crucial. The collusion between virtual worlds and
simulated architecture is not new, but such incidents are bound to grow
exponentially. Sony's response to the accusations is that "*Resistance: Fall
of Man* is a fantasy science fiction game and is not based on reality",
which does not change the fact that without a permission, they could not
have used the monument in the game. Usually, both film and game companies
seek a "location release" in advance for using places to be filmed or
reproduced, thus Sony's comment ("We thought we obtainted the permission")
is rather ambiguous.

Even more interestingly, David Wilson, a Sony spokesman, told *The
Times*newspaper described the virtual cathedral as "game-created
footage [...] not
video or photography", which raises even more questions regarding law,
videogames, and tangible vs. simulated architecture.

This issue is extremely complex as it involves legal, technical, and even
ethical factors. Rather than trying to provide some answers, I would like to
add my own set of queries:

1) *Can a videogame be more sacrilegious or blasphemous* than a H&M
billboard featuring Madonna on another famous cathedral, the Duomo of
Milan?<http://mbf.blogs.com/mbf/2006/08/madonna_on_the_.html>

2) *Is Resistance: Fall of Man really "undermining" the Cathedral's
significance as The Very Reverend Rogers Govender argues*, or is it rather
increasing its visibility on the cultural map? *The Da Vinci Code* - another
Sony's owned property condemned by the Vatican as "offensive"- has had the
effect of raising awareness around Leonardo Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and
the annexed Church, Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, by a factor of
10<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Supper>.

3) *How do we make sense of the notion of "sacred" in simulated spaces*? Can
a Church in a videogame environment be as "holy" as its tangible
counterpart? Ernest Adams - and many others - would probably say no. In a
very influential piece written in 2002, he argued