[iDC] (no subject)

sergio basbaum sbasbaum at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:53:55 EDT 2007

Hi David,

Thank you for interesting ideas which make me curious about your book.
I may be obvious, but both internet and television, along cinema and
advertising are embedded in this broader question of the image regime
in the XXth century -- which modern and contemporary arts are suposed
to challenge and question. Many interesting thinkers -- who you've
probably know very well -- have worked on this, with many interesting
directions.

Most of all, I'm very sympathetic to Vilém Flusser's ideas on
"technical images" shaping the imagination of post-historical
societies -- they open many productive directions to think
contemporary culture; and also to Debord's explorations on the notion
of Society of Spectacle, when he clealy affirms that spectacle is "a
social relation among people, mediated by images".

When I have shortly adressed here the problem of a certain future
which is now being projected in the labs of technological corporations
I mean most of all and image of the future which is projected in the
minds of people, thus shaping the imagination of future. Such images
program society to act in different directions. So there's this war
going on in our world in what concerns to images, imagination and
imaginary. Televison and internet -- which many think are soon going
to be a single media -- have a major role in shaping people's minds.

This is much probably pretty obvious, but such obvious things can
always be regarded and re-found through different paths.

best vibes for all

S.