[iDC] Art Basel: Signs of a Broken Food Chain

Frank Pasquale frank.pasquale at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:51:28 EDT 2007

My guess is, that when someone like Bryant complains about lack of great
art, he's really complaining about a lack of art that has accumulated the
"buzz" necessary to assure a prudent investor of the resale value of the
work down the line.  It's an artificial scarcity based on the "economics of
attention <http://madisonian.net/index.php?s=richard+lanham>" and Girard's
idea of "triangulated desire": buyers want what everybody else wants.

I found the Hans Abbing's <http://www.hansabbing.nl/> *Why Are Artists
Poor*an insightful analysis of some issues here.  Tyler Cowen's Good
and Plenty<http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2006/03/good_plenty_par.html>also
does a great job commenting on gaps between economic success and
artistic quality.  He states "we cannot have a coherent political philosophy
without bridging the gap between economic and aesthetic perspectives" on
arts economics.

--Frank