[iDC] (no subject)

Danny Butt dbdannybutt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 21:31:46 EST 2007

When I do planning exercises in organisations where people reflect on
significant people and moments in their past, I am always surprised
at how many mention a teacher or educational experience that created
a transformation, that somehow formed who they were. This is much
more common than a book, film, political event, or other kind of
personal connection, though people do mention these as well. And now,
having worked across a number of areas, for pay and for free - from
commercial media, to political postering, to setting up online
networks, to music,  to consulting, to writing, to policy.... the
area where I really think I've made the most difference is in the
classroom. Not only do I miss it, I also resent the consistent
devaluing of that difference by those proposing a "larger" political
program.

And at a really basic level, I just fail to see how this desire
divide people (good/bad, thinking/skills, corporate/non-corporate,
hypocritical or not, inside or outside the system etc.) actually
achieves anything much other than a culture which is comfortable with
rhetorical absolutes. I've made it a bit of a mission recently to
have conversations with people who over the last 30 years have
actually led the establishment new educational/research institutions
in all kinds of fields, some in opposition to the status quo (e.g.
indigenous learning centres), some not (e.g. private professional
media education). It seems to me that  conversation, knowledge-
sharing, alliance-building and, fundamentally, an ability to work
across difference are central to being able to *really* build new
institutions, rather than simply gaining agreement on what principles
such institutions would be in an ideal world.

Principles are very important to me, but they're the price of entry
into the game of social change, rather than the tools. I think people
who are deeply embedded in their context of work (education, labor
organising, government, etc.) understand this, and I have to admit to
being tired of strident conversations about the need for
"alternatives" that end up as a half-done wikified manifesto which
never quite gains traction. If anyone's got a real  plan - with
detailed fesibility analysis with financials and resource
strategies ;) -  for a revolutionary alternative to the western
academic system I'm more than happy to offer some free advice. Until
then, I'd prefer it if I can go back to learning more from people who
have expertise and are sharing what they know - this has honestly
been the most useful month on a mailing list for a long time for me.

Sorry to be such a grouch ;)

Danny

--
Danny Butt