[iDC] re: "Praxis-based" Ph.Ds

mark bartlett mark at globalpostmark.net
Tue Jan 16 23:03:11 EST 2007

A summary ago, Maggie respectively wondered whether I'd say more
about my research. This raises a number of difficult issues. The
least of which, though still not trivial in the context of the
increasing commercialized/corporatized academy, is that of
"intellectual property" issues. The "playing field" is the furthest
from "level" since turn of the century prequel to our current robber
baronism. And not all of contributing here have equal protections,
which means there are many from whom we don't benefit because of the
lack of genuine open discourse. and there are many who also put
themselves at risk anyway, no doubt, either intentionally, or naively.

this raises the issue of whether some threads should be password
secured.... It is naive to think of this medium as egalitarian on
many levels.

More importantly, returning from the context to the content of this
thread, at the very heart, from my pov, of what is at stake
specifically "here," in this media, is that there is no possibility
of representing my research results. It cannot be done in text alone.
This is one aspect of the "literary" dominance of epistemology.

The text-dominance of the list-serv is part of the problem, it seems
to me. I caused server problems for Trebor (apologies again)  when i
first joined the list, when even knowing better, I habitually added a
"cc" address to a post. This medium couldn't handle that form of
dissemination. I assume attaching an image or a video would cause
similar problems? These are very real aspects of the material
conditions under which we labor here.

[and goddamn it, the power had gone out from blocks around in this
part of Oakland, CA....]

I would like nothing more than to add an "image" by way of making my
research available. Without that option, I would be put automatically
in the position of what I oppose - "representing" in text and thereby
snuffing the very thing I'm attempting to revalue.

That is a corollary to the proposition in my last post.

So, while the digital continues to evolve new communication options,
we in list-serv world, remain mired in the 15th century?

THAT is an argument for hastening praxis-based phd-mfa's.....

:->