[iDC] Re: Praxis= Ph.D=criteria

R Labossiere admin at klooj.net
Mon Jan 15 23:53:02 EST 2007

I love this thread and kudos to everyone who is contributing... truly, it's
very meaningful to me, personally and professionally....

my post is too long, sorry... but if you can, skim this first...
http://www.webheaven.co.yu/spiritart/beuys_social.htm

for me,the penny drops here: where do "results" figure into the discussion?
for surely the
point of all this is not, like religion, to pepetuate 'the church,' but to
promote results. What are the practical results of a PhD that cannot be
achieved otherwise, elsewhere and better?

Indeed, my underlying misgiving here is that the institutional framework is
so laboured that it cannot produce the results it professes to desire?

WHO: I hold an MFA from NSCAD (1985) and a law degree (a misadventure if
there ever was one) ((1989)) and have worked in and out of the artist-run
centres in Canada for several decades. Notwithstanding damage suffered
during my MFA, am a practicing artist; I cling, however vaguely, to what
inspired me in the first place, a certain disposition to
anti-institutionalization, creativity, integrity, ingenuity and compassion.

To cut my particular chase... I would argue that the BFA should be the
"terminal" (what a dreadful term!!!) degree. It should be all students need:
exposure and an opportunity to work in a 'protected' environment for a
relatively brief period, their most formative years.. during which, if
properly mentored by faculty, they will sort out who they are, where they
are and what to do... beyond that, academe is a refuge not a force of
development... and you (meaning "we" really) are a bunch of 'placeholders',
not that I begrudge you your much deserved salaries (you are all certainly
more disciplined and more knowledgeable than a guff like me who flies by the
seat of his pants, fueled by mostly illicit substances), but, in terms of
culture and movement or even what's just interesting, ha ha, you are kidding
yourselves if you think you are moving the culture one way or the other, or
even more than a blip in the course of history.

The wheels of institutionalization, within which many of you (and me) seem
to be caught up, i.e. the movement towards the "research' model is
problematic. I confess to having been part of that movement, early 90s when
funding agencies were desperate for arguments to legitimize funding... I was
among a few who said, "fine, whatever... consider fine art as a kind of
research..." I knew at the time that this was wrong fundamentally, but also
believed, 70's flower child (optimist, idealisti) that I am, that it didn't
matter how you legitimize it, the point was to keep the money flowing so
that art could at least have a chance to "win out in the end." WRONG WRONG
WRONG (it turns out)

Margaret wrote:
>It is especially possible at the cusp of a cultural change
>in what is needed and shifts in qualifications or after one is
>well-known.  May such "loopholes" never end.

Margaret's starting point is right... we are changing, and some of you (us)
are embracing change more than others.. not that it matters, it all works
out in the end, but for the sake of argument, if you want to "know" what's
going on, either you are a luddite or you are a champion of change... really
is there an option other than the latter?

Mary Anne wrote:
>But, as I said previously, the degree context can provide studio resources;

exactly! The issues with 'praxis' are, um, hello? practical... If you are
not connecting your students to the backstory of art and the people they
need to know then you are failing. Anything else belongs to a different
discourse, not art, but art history, theory, philosophy, all very
interesting, I'm not saying otherwise, but not, in the end, art, after all.

Kevin wrote:
>I'll humbly confess to applying to
>college out of high school based on colleges I knew of from watching
>Basketball on television.

Kevin,  dude! you rock! the confessional always work for me (ex-Catholic
don't you know!) (btw your post is WAY too long! geez, get practical here
please,  this is not a discourse like in the journals where one gets
published and the retort four years later in another university journal...
we need bite sized chunks to debate:)

So, Danny's point that the decline of the dissertation (defended) as the
authenticating benchmark of achievement is right. Either it is about
endorsement, or it isn't... and if you want to go down the road of it isn't,
then why stop at "sort of."... you folks, I take, are mostly academics...
it's up to you to rock the firggin' boat!

I offer the following:

a) university must be free.. we have to lose the debate that education is
related to 'bums in seats', how most universities justify their programs;
more students = more salaries = more institution = good.

b) students need to be 'delimited'... we cannot continue to support the
power relationship of "I have the degree, and you don't"; and that is up to
you, front line workers.

c) expect that the best will exhaust the university before you have a chance
to 'qualify' them.... I know this invokes the myth of genius, but really, is
it so hard? when you get that really remarkable student, give your class
over to them! send them to your faculty meetings! I'm not kidding. Otherwise
you lose them, and every single bit of your credibility.

d) creativity in management: it is very ironic that there is this whole buzz
in business management circles around creativity, Daniel Pink being the
best/worst offender. I emailed him. He knows nothing about art! Isnt' that
amazing?
You, me, this whole group, imho, needs to seriously mount an approach/attach
on what the corporate world thinks creativity is. That said, if it isn't
going on at Apple, then it probably isn't happening at all...

Robert Labossiere
www.robertlabossiere.com
www.yyzartistsoutlet.org
www.klooj.net/never
www.klooj.net/hmv

I should say that I strongly believe the "big bad world out there" is worth
avoiding and if PhDs, praxis-based or otherwise, provide some refuge, good
on them, but isn't the reason we think of that world out there as "bad" that
it is so inadequate... it's not just that money drives almost everything,
but that the institutional/heirarchical framework of the workplace does not
well support creativity, with it's often long "down" times, false starts,
diversions, or the flashes of  insight that come without a legacy of
stepped, steady progress.

There are concurrent streams of thinking on this issue, e.g. creativity in
business management;