[iDC] RE: An Inconvenient Youth and Second Life

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at www2.ferzkopp.net
Tue Feb 27 21:11:45 EST 2007

Ana wrote:
>  the US (where almost 100 procent of computer games and online
> worlds are created)
Not really 100% ...
- Take the EGDF for example, a federation for European developers
representing 500 studios and about 15K people (http://www.egdf.net/).
- Longest-running MMORPG is developed CCP in Iceland
(http://www.eve-online.com/).
- Most popular MMORPG World of Warcraft is published by Vivendi in
France with a large development team from Europe
- In sheer numbers, Japanese made titles for consoles probably outnumber
PC games. In the Asian category of MMORPGs we have Final Fantasy XI
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI) for example or Legend of
Zelda for the Wii.

BTW, unrelated to this: I found the Bartle Test of player personality
(http://www.guildcafe.com/bartle.php).  I am an Achiever 66.66%,
Explorer 60.00%, Killer 33.33%, Socializer 40.00% - what a schizophrenic
personality in a game I seem to be. I wonder what the statistics would
say about the SL population as a whole - this would be an interesting
experiment to conduct in SL.

On the Second Life front, here are some of my latest experiences:
- My character "magically" changed from a man to a woman. Since the the
general outfit looked similar and once does not see oneself from the
front, it took me a while to recognize that. Maybe a Linden-script-virus
I ran into ... quite a surprising event.
- Starting from a search for "newbie", I ended up in a slow-loading
store where one can get free L$'s from an "ATM" by giving away your
personal information to advertising scammers or signing up to a dating
service for L$123 a pop.
- I randomly teleported into an area that ended up having lots of poor
quality nude images for sale. Quite a reflection of the Internet at large.
- I was force-quit the game when the client crashed suddenly after half
an hour of play.