[iDC] Second Life and activism, etc.

Scott Kildall scott at kildall.com
Thu Feb 22 17:37:36 EST 2007

I've been using in Second Life for about 8 months now. I first became
interested in it as one model of online relational communities with
MySpace/Friendster/Facebook being another dominant style. Since then,
I've been very active in it as an artist -- generating 2D prints and
also a member of an 8-person performance art group called Second Front.

Overhyped or not, hard to tell. But, it holds promise in pushing new
social transmission models.

Consider this: Second Life has an appeal that MySpace doesn't in that
it breaks with the standard (including Web 2.0) style of online
activity. These involve a passive or semi-active webspace with
content that gets updated on an hourly, daily, weekly basis. Any sort
of immediacy is done through IM. Old hat.

SL becomes useful in that it offers re-spatialization of activity and
a feeling of presentness. The universe it creates is similar to ours
in the local sense: avatars consume space; only one can be in a
doorway at a time, etc. But, it also offers super-hero powers: you
can fly, teleport, etc. The technology is crude and does hit huge lag
points. But, intuitively, it resonates.

Creating a sense of space that we are familiar with, yet with
expanded exploratory powers offers something unique. The Orca ride
that Joshua talks about pushes ourselves into chance encounters that
draw people into environments like Second Life.

As far as social activism, its hard to tell how this will pan out.
Mass publicity is still best done through e-mails and websites. But,
unique experiences that make people laugh and form deeper bonds --
this is where Second Life can excel.

Back to social transmission. One aspect of SL that I find interesting
is that people create their unique avatars and after a little while,
they pretty much stick with the look of their character. They develop
communities and friendship networks -- places to go and things to do.
But in a world where you can change skin color, gender and even
species, you'd think there would be more experimentation. But, not so
much.

The other transmission element is from the SL user to the non-user. I
find in personal conversations that many people are fascinated by the
descriptions I provide. I've demonstrated the Second Life in a couple
of talks and afterwards, there are always a few who immediately sign
up. Many more ask questions. Others remain skeptical. It certainly
provokes a reaction.

There is something to Second Life: linked to attachment to a
simulated-physical being in re-spatialized zones and the immediacy of
information flow. Any sort of successful social/political activism
will have to address the inherent characteristics of Second Life vs.
websites, emails and more traditional forms of fundraising and
awareness.

~ Scott Kildall

website: http://www.kildall.com

Second Front blog: http://slfront.blogspot.com