[iDC] (no subject)

Danny Butt dbdannybutt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 01:25:21 EST 2007

By way of giving some support to Kevin who has toiled so diligently
on behalf of our recent discussions in a more generous way than I
would (Brian, you *are* rude :)!), can I identify what bugs me about
the recent (no subject) thread in more general terms, because the
issues are fundamentally about pragmatism on mailing lists and not
about academia.

In any group dynamic, but particularly in politics, someone will
attempt to shift the agenda of the group by saying one or both of the
following:

1) There are events outside the discussion which are more important
than what is being discussed.

2) The discussion is simply a function of a larger problem, if we
address the larger problem we no longer need to have this discussion.

These statements are almost always true - there is a "mom and apple
pie" quality to them. Aliette Guibert's forward of information on
ethnic cleansing in the West bank is undoubtedly more important than
practice-based Ph.Ds. As someone who did my postgraduate work on
marxist cultural theory, I share with Brian the knowledge that there
is a global economic system called capitalism and its decomposition
would result in the transformation of many of the critical problems
we face in the world.

In my experience, both these kinds of statements are demotivating to
groups, because groups work best when they are focussed on issues
where they can make a difference. There is a reason why this group of
predominantly Nth-American new media academics came alive in the
discussion on programs and curriculum, and it's because the
discussion has the opportunity to expand and transform the
participants' impact on their surroundings.

I have no doubt that the tiny, yet tangible world of postgraduate
arts education has been affected by the last months' dialogue. I have
no faith in the ability of the group contributing any meaningful
difference through its discussions to the overthrow of the capitalist
university system, or the human tragedy of Israel/Palestine, or the
many other issues that many of us make meaningful changes to in the
world outside this list. So I am unimpressed by arguments that we
need to "break silence" on "more important issues" - I think those
making such arguments carry a responsibility to show how the group is
likely to affect those issues, really affect them.

Frankly, for the "more important" issues that I am personally
involved with away from academic mailing lists, I can't see what this
group would do by caring more about them. So why beat my head against
a wall? To make myself feel more radical because I am introducing
more important issues? People get tired of being made to feel
politically inferior because they are not  engaged in a movement
which they have no investment in, and in a "virtual community" that
means they leave, because everyone has a lot on their plate. Self-
styled "moral entrepreneurship" is always seductive but rarely
subjected to rigorous evaluation as to its effectiveness.

x.d