[iDC] Teaching Digital Rhetoric.

Elizabeth Losh lizlosh at uci.edu
Mon Dec 17 00:15:20 UTC 2007

Dear IDCers,

Apologies for the long post.  Trebor suggested
that I write up some thoughts about teaching an
experimental undergraduate digital rhetoric
course this quarter, and I discovered that I
actually had a lot to say about the subject.

I'd suggest skimming through this post and
picking something that you might disagree with in
order to foster some discussion about our
pedagogical practices and preferences on the
list.  For example, I'd welcome feedback from
people who have made wikis written by
undergraduates work in their courses or who think
that teaching with YouTube is a morally bankrupt
practice indulged in by lazy teachers or who
prefer restricting the video production
technologies used by their students or who think
that student blogging should focus exclusively on assigned class material.

There are certainly legitimate counterarguments
to be made to just about everything I've listed
below, even though the course received very high evaluations from students.

Liz

TWENTY LESSONS I LEARNED THIS YEAR IN MY DIGITAL RHETORIC COURSE

Elizabeth Losh, U.C. Irvine

1) Warn students in advance, so they know what they’ve signed up for

I made a YouTube video for this course
(<http://youtube.com/watch?v=F66qju9N0SE>http://youtube.com/watch?v=F66qju9N0SE)
so that students who signed up for my digital
rhetoric course would know that this course in
“social media and persuasive games” would involve
some media production as well as media
theory.  It still attracted students from a wide
range of backgrounds, from hardcore gamers and
students who had already created strong media
brands for themselves through blogging and campus
broadcasting to nontraditional students with very
little experience working with digital tools,

2) Embrace gossip and eavesdropping

I corresponded with and talked to a lot of people
about this course to take advantage of their
collective intelligence.  A partial list includes
Trebor Scholz (about the syllabus), Ian Bogost
(about the syllabus and using the same course
reader), Jonathan Alexander (about the course
requirements), Nick Montfort (about the course
reader), Julia Lupton (about teaching web design
skills), Geoffrey Middlebrook (about teaching
blogging), Mark Marino (about teaching blogging
and using collaborative and dynamic research
tools), Sarah Robbins (about teaching with Second
Life), Lisa Gerrard (about teaching with MMO
environments), Lynda Haas (about privacy issues),
Stephen Franklin (about copyright issues and
course management tools), Barbara Cohen (about
copyright issues), and Alan Liu (about course outcomes).

While my course was going on, I also stayed
abreast of the progress of similar courses being
held concurrently.  Three Fall 2007 courses that
I followed closely from week to week were Bill
Tomlinson’s Social Analysis of Computerization
(<https://eee.uci.edu/07f/37100/>https://eee.uci.edu/07f/37100/),
in which one of my students was simultaneous
registered, Ian Bogost’s Introduction to
Computational Media
(<http://www.bogost.com/teaching/introduction_to_computational.shtml>http://www.bogost.com/teaching/introduction_to_computational.shtml),
and Trebor Scholz’s The Social Web
(<http://www.collectivate.net/the-social-web/>http://www.collectivate.net/the-social-web/).

Finally, I took advantage of contacts I had made
through Southern California regional groups for
digital educators at SCIWRITER
(<http://www.sciwriter.org/>http://www.sciwriter.org)
and the Digital Educators Consortium
(<http://iml.usc.edu/?page_id=9>http://iml.usc.edu/?page_id=9)
and through Special Interest Group meetings at
the MLA and the 4Cs, especially those led by Dennis Jerz.

3) Choose a flexible course website template

Before the course began, I made a conscious
choice to embrace nondescript ugly utilitarianism
rather than making a strong design statement with
the course materials.  In retrospect, that may
have been a mistake, since my colleague and
collaborator Julia Lupton very strongly believes
in academic branding and distinctive design in
all pedagogical materials.  At the time, I
thought that this would give the students more
freedom to develop their own aesthetic preferences and design sensibilities.

But I made another, very time-consuming mistake,
when I chose the template for the course web
page.  We actually had a little design session as
a class, where I asked them what they liked in
other course web pages they had used.  They
wanted something with tabs, so I built
<http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course>http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course
with some CSS and JavaScript components that I
could read the code for and tinker with relatively easily.

The problem with a course like this, which
incorporates student input and is being taught
for the first time, is that things change.  You
talk guest speakers into coming; you redesign the
assignment sequence when you discover your
students’ strengths, etc.  This meant that I was
constantly updating the HTML code on the tabs of
about fifty different pages, which was crazy.  If
I had it to do all over again, I would have
chosen something widgety, where I could easily
add elements and move things around by working
from a single interface.  Repeating the same
operation over and over got old really fast.  Or
I would build the whole thing in ActionScript as
a Flash site and use what I now know about coding up a variables layer.

4) Know that wikis are hard

This is one thing I have heard from almost
everyone who has taught undergraduates with wiki
technology is that getting students to work with
wikis in a productive way is very, very
hard.  They work for bio pages
(<http://liu.english.ucsb.edu/wiki1/index.php/Class_Members>http://liu.english.ucsb.edu/wiki1/index.php/Class_Members)
and for repositories of finished work
(<http://thistle.skiles.gatech.edu/bogost8823f05/>http://thistle.skiles.gatech.edu/bogost8823f05/),
but participation, plagiarism, and polish become
real issues when you ask students to work
collaboratively on informational electronic documents.

I know that Michael Wesch had great luck with
having a huge lecture hall full of students work
on a single Google doc, according to his class’s
“A Vision of Students Today”
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o),
but I found that my students were very invested
in individual authorship for a course with
academic credit, a grade, and public exposure
involved.  The class blog
(<http://www.humanities.uci.edu/socialmedia/>http://www.humanities.uci.edu/socialmedia/)
produced much better writing than the class wiki
(<https://eee.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/English_101W_Digital_Rhetoric:_Social_Media_and_Persuasive_Games_(Fall_2007))>https://eee.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/English_101W_Digital_Rhetoric:_Social_Media_and_Persuasive_Games_(Fall_2007)).
This happened even though I tried to give them a
template and pre-selected topics for which there
were no Wikipedia entries, in order to make page
hijacking less tempting, but they had real
trouble writing from a NPOV (no point of view) perspective.

5) Don’t be afraid to let YouTube do some of the work

Unlike what the Chronicle of Higher Education has
called “PowerPoint abuse,” students often respond
positively to the pedagogical use of YouTube
videos.  When I gave students an electronic
mid-quarter evaluation, they said that they were
much clearer on Lev Manovich’s chapter on “The
Interface” in The Language of New Media after
watching humorous YouTube videos like
“Introducing the Book”
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek)
and the Microsoft Surface parody
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY).
My overview of Manovich’s “The Operations” used
even more YouTube videos
(<http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/classseleven.html>http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/classseleven.html),
which students responded to positively with
lively class discussion.  I noticed that faculty
lecturers in the large 1,300 student course of
which I direct the writing portion
(<http://eee.uci.edu/programs/humcore>http://eee.uci.edu/programs/humcore)
were also using more YouTube in lectures to
positive audience reactions.  Unlike showing
longer films, YouTube videos are short and
discourage passivity, since they are used to
thinking about them in terms of modes like
commenting, responding, and embedding.

6) Don’t let principles interfere with pedagogy

Two of the activities that students enjoyed most
this year were those that involved distance
learning platforms to which I am opposed on
philosophical grounds and have even written about
in conference proceedings (papers on “Going
Digital” and “Private Idahos”).  Students loved
the video conference with our Washington D.C.
office that we did with YouTube celebrity and
critic of the videos of presidential candidates
James Kotecki who went from a Georgetown senior
making videos to the candidates in his dorm room
to a paid vlogger for Playbook TV and frequent
commentator on the politics of online video
(<http://www.jameskotecki.com/>http://www.jameskotecki.com).
Students also wrote much more about their Second
Life experiences than the assignment required
(<http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/secondlife.html>http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/secondlife.html),
and -- even if they found the program frustrating
to use -- they said intelligent things that rose
to the level of analyzing the interface and
operations of the database and the navigable
space and the social interactions in which they participated.

7) Give them web-based research tools

Usually I have the library come in and do an
orientation of some kind with students, but I
thought that our library staff did not seem
familiar with some of the popular social
bookmarking tools (and Net bookmarking tools in
general) that students would probably find
appealing.  I had learned about some of these
tools from Mark Marino, who has used Zotero,
Netvibes, and Diigo with his classes.  Marino
explains some of these instructional technology
applications in a recent talk on “Teaching with
Web 2.0”
(<http://writerresponsetheory.org/wordpress/2007/11/29/teaching-web-20/>http://writerresponsetheory.org/wordpress/2007/11/29/teaching-web-20/).

8) Unleash your inner schoolmarm

Writing instruction is often treated as the
neglected stepchild of the university, but you
can’t teach a course like this without some
attention to your students’ prose, and -- since
their work is publicly viewable -- your students’
competencies as writers also says something about
you as a teacher.  For example, Alan Liu was
inspired to write a Wikipedia Use Policy
(<http://www.english.ucsb.edu/faculty/ayliu/courses/wikipedia-policy.html>http://www.english.ucsb.edu/faculty/ayliu/courses/wikipedia-policy.html),
and Trebor Scholz wrote Guidelines for Writing
(<http://www.slideshare.net/guestc7bd54/guidelines-for-writing-160073>http://www.slideshare.net/guestc7bd54/guidelines-for-writing-160073).

9) Allow for some disciplinary crutches

Some of these texts I had taught before when
guest lecturing in Jennifer Cool’s version of the
Social Analysis of Computerization class at UCI
(<https://eee.uci.edu/06y/36360/>https://eee.uci.edu/06y/36360/),
but it was very different to teach these texts to
English majors.  Although I believe in
interdisciplinarity on principle and the mission
of Critical Information Studies, as Siva
Vaidhyanathan describes it
(<http://www.sivacracy.net/archives/002930.html>http://www.sivacracy.net/archives/002930.html),
I soon discovered that it was important sometimes
to privilege literary interpretations with this
audience.  I actually changed two assignments to
capitalize on their identities as book-loving
students of print literature.  I asked them to
translate a
<http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/elit.html>poem
into an electronic hypertext and a book-length
<http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/game.html>work
of literature into a game, which turned out to be
surprisingly successful prompts for
composition.  At a more advanced level, this
graduate course on translation with digital media
– specifically videogames – by Ian Bogost is a
really interesting model for these kinds of
assignments and what can be learned about digital
design from the translation trope:
<http://www.bogost.com/teaching/videogame_adaptation_and_trans.shtml>http://www.bogost.com/teaching/videogame_adaptation_and_trans.shtml

10) Let your own social networks be visible

Because using social media in constructive ways
was one of the themes of the class, I opened with
a “tale of two college students”: Aleksey Vayner
and James Kotecki, who attended prestigious
American universities, Yale and Georgetown
respectively.  While Vayner became an unwilling
YouTube celebrity when his ludicrously padded
video résumé became an Internet meme that was
subject to all forms of parody and ridicule,
Kotecki managed to parlay his YouTube presence
posing questions and commentaries about the
presidential candidates in his dorm room into a
professional career as a political webcaster.

However, asking students to think critically
about their social networks and be willing to
make them visible means that you should also be
willing to examine how your own social networks
can inform your pedagogy.  This doesn’t mean that
you should add all your students as “friends” who
can see your personal information, but it does
mean that you could do a limited amount of
modeling how social networks can be used for
creative, activist, or instructional
agendas.   Hawisher and Moran, in their older
work on e-mail, have talked about the
“apprenticeship” method for giving students
models for electronic discourse, but it involves
being somewhat open about your own online
practices, which may sometimes also be
generationally, culturally, or socio-economically
incompatible with your students and thus inappropriate to talk about.

11) Make campus visitors an offer they can’t refuse

In addition to drafting my friends to come and
participate in the class to add more perspective
on these subjects, I also did a lot of advanced
planning to coordinate the talks of campus
speakers and gallery shows with the curricular
material that we would be covering.  This creates
a sense of rhetorical occasion around the class,
which can be very important for keeping students
engaged.  If the goal is creating a class that
students look forward to, a calendar of special
events can foster anticipation of each
session.  Under the tab marked “Guest Speakers
and Special Events” at
<http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/allweeks.html>http://www.digitalrhetoric.org/course/allweeks.html,
the different guests for the quarter are listed.

12) Use regional advantage

In Southern California, there are many
universities within driving distance.  I
definitely took advantage of the fact that I had
colleagues at UCLA, USC, and Cal Tech.

13) Remember that there are no little people

Unfortunately, instructional technology people
are often not treated entirely as sentient human
beings by the faculty with whom they work.  And
yet, IT people who run computer labs, media
resource centers, teleconferencing facilities,
and equipment rental services for the university
often want to know more about the pedagogical
applications for the technologies that they work
with every day.  A few months before the start of
the class, I met with all the tech people I could
think of on campus, and I contacted them again
just before I or my students would need their
services for particular sessions of the class or
challenging individual or group
assignments.  Progress reports and thank yous afterwards are also appreciated.

14) Pick off the students off one at a time

Because there was so much unfamiliar material to
cover, I often had to lecture or give formal
presentations.  So, in addition to office hours,
I made individual appointments with students at
the beginning, middle, and end of the course, so
I could get to know their challenges and
objectives a little better.  This really helped
in giving them advice about their media-making
and message-making, since I had more of a sense
of their possible purposes in using social media.

15) Showcase interesting work

As the instructor see drafts, rough cuts, and
works-in-progress from students, it can be very
helpful to enrolled undergraduates to see models
for success. Students often appreciate having
their work publicly recognized, although you will
want to make sure to get their permission
first.  Of course, there are often multiple
audiences for experimental courses that go beyond
the classroom.  I will be talking about the class
at a few formal teaching colloquia the coming
months, but I also discussed it with colleagues
more informally at workshops while the course was in progress.

16) Respect student privacy but don’t let it
stifle opportunities for public discourse

Some students do have genuine concerns about
being subject to intimidation, discrimination,
and future negative consequences from employers
and admissions committees because of their online
forms of expression.  When I introduced the
course, I emphasized that they would be creating
lasting public artifacts not ephemeral or private reflections.

My students felt very strongly that closed
systems for blogs, wikis, and video file-sharing
weren’t equivalent to real participation in the
public sphere.  Although non-commercial and
process-oriented course management systems like
The Writing Studio
(<http://writing.colostate.edu/>http://writing.colostate.edu/)
offer a better alternative to corporate products
like Blackboard, students can’t reach audiences
beyond their writing classes or sustain writing projects after graduation.

Just as fear of violating copyright law can
stymie good pedagogy, fear of running afoul of
FERPA can also limit the effectiveness of
teaching.  And the use of usernames easily can
give students more anonymity, if they feel that
the simple use of first-name-only posting won’t do.

For example, one of the most popular video essays
made by one of my students
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5UcyaAFwU>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5UcyaAFwU)
was a direct response to this video “On
Profanity”
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cGSTKalUk>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cGSTKalUk),
which had been watched hundreds of thousands of
times.   And students who made blogs like this
one
(<http://callingoutbs.blogspot.com/>http://callingoutbs.blogspot.com/)
plan to continue writing for broader
audiences.  They signed up for the course because
they wanted to participate in exchanges beyond the classroom.

I also discovered that they wanted their online
identities to be separate from the institution of
the university.  Although humanities computing
generously offered server space and technical
support, all of the students chose to set up their own free Blogger accounts.

17) Let them choose the problems to be solved

Blogging constituted a large portion of the
students' grades. Following the advice of
innovative writing instructor
<http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/faculty/faculty1003534.html>Geoffrey
Middlebrook, I told them to choose a topic in
which they are truly interested and for which
they can build an audience, because they have
something original to say. I also instructed them
to select a very narrow niche topic, a message
that class guest YouTube celebrity
<http://www.jameskotecki.com>James Kotecki also
emphasized. For blogging about subjects related
to the academic content of the course, there was
also a <http://www.humanities.uci.edu/socialmedia/>class blog.

This was a media-savvy group, so many of them
chose topics like
<http://freshcutsradio.blogspot.com/>hip-hop
music or
<http://omenofclarity.blogspot.com/>videogames.
But I was struck by the fact that even more of
them picked issues about the design challenges of
their chosen lifestyle or what I might call "life
hacking." It was fun to read their writing and
also to see the ingenuity with which they
compensated for obstacles in the material circumstances of daily life.

Their stories were very different, but there was
definitely a theme.
<http://mylifeindecay.blogspot.com/>A
forty-something mother adjusts to life on campus
among younger students.
<http://mytaleoftwocities.blogspot.com/>A
homesick San Francisco native adapts to living in
Orange County.
<http://whyshouldiride.blogspot.com/>A long-time
motorcycle rider from Singapore plans for his
transportation needs in car-centric Irvine.
<http://ohthankcod.blogspot.com/>A seafood lover
searches for affordable but palatable local food
to suit her tastes and limited budget. (The
photos on her food blog make me hungry.)
<http://www.ranchquest.blogspot.com/>A young
woman with an equestrian background tries to help
her family find a horse ranch in the region that
is in their price range.
<http://www.xanga.com/babyxfiesty>A Christian
student reviews books that suit her beliefs and
yet are still full of juicy controversies and even sex.

By letting them choose the problems to be solved,
it made it much more a class about the rest of their lives.

18) Let them bond electronically without your interference

When students began commenting on each others
blogs, they really began to function as a much
more cohesive unit.  It made me also understand
the function of a “commiseration comment” more in
blogging, and the assertions of solidarity that
they expressed about subjects like working for
tips
(<https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8354744214866507190&postID=3166885182513503573>https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8354744214866507190&postID=3166885182513503573),
being a nontraditional student
(<https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3033091677346242296&postID=253584952289701588>https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3033091677346242296&postID=253584952289701588),
or having restricted diets that others didn’t
understand
(<https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2652374139435883486&postID=7882623376561083040>https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2652374139435883486&postID=7882623376561083040).

19) Let them choose as many of the technologies as possible

For the final video essay assignment, I was
tempted to be very directive about technologies,
since our Electronic Educational Environment
group and other IT groups on campus had developed
tutorials and workshops oriented around iMovie
software, which was widely available on the labs
on campus.  Although many students made their
videos largely with iMovie
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBOzo6Y0V_g>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBOzo6Y0V_g),
many others found that other technologies better
suited their rhetorical objectives.  Some used
screen capture technology
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKY4tOAKfxE>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKY4tOAKfxE),
some embraced the role of citizen journalist and
selected and edited together hours of film in
foreign locales with Final Cut Pro
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0riBOTD6egc>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0riBOTD6egc),
some were interested in machinima
(<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPaUT9GtdPk>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPaUT9GtdPk),
and some were more comfortable with software with
simple and familiar interfaces like Microsoft’s
MovieMaker
(<http://youtube.com/watch?v=yq6c_JEJVdI>http://youtube.com/watch?v=yq6c_JEJVdI).
None of them chose the lowest tech option: a
webcam/headset speech into the camera.

20) Tempus Fugit

Trying to have students produce more than one
social media genre in ten weeks was probably too
much to ask.  Although when I talked with the
students on the last day about which assignments
could be cut, to allow for showing rough cuts of
the students videos and workshopping more
material as a group, they were aghast that I
would consider cutting the wiki assignment, which
I thought was the least successful in terms of
the student writing produced.  (The prose to me
seemed incoherent and not up to the informational
or expertly authorial pretensions of real Wikipedia entries.)

For more on the class:

Here are some blog entries about the classes

<http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2007/11/what-if-teacher-has-to-sit-in-corner.html>http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2007/11/what-if-teacher-has-to-sit-in-corner.html

http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2007/11/fourth-wall.html
<http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2007/11/virtual-worlds-and-real-classes.html>http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2007/11/virtual-worlds-and-real-classes.html

http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2007/12/twenty-first-century-english-majors.html

Here is some YouTube video of one of the classes (on academic blogging):

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybMkqQwj-_I>Peter Krapp Part One
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTFMdEx_vA>Peter Krapp Part Two
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJk9bM-3qw>Scott Eric Kaufman Part One
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErElwORrSx8>Scott Eric Kaufman Part Two