[iDC] disagreement by deletion/addition

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 9 13:40:46 UTC 2007

Sorry but too many people have pushed me out of debates by arguing
facts v opinion and while I have learned to appreciate this
distinction, I find this distinction is used to oppress people one
disagrees with.

  This is probably old news to many of you.

New facts for me are a realisation that law in fact judges can make
what might be a subjective reality to an academic class an objective
fact. As noted by having enough reasonable people agree to it.

I have seen our panhandlers union article deleted and I think it was
because as you note it was fame seeking.

I tend to think the quality of the science pages on wikipedia may be
because of the lack of literacy there and also the aggression of
persons in the sciences.

My only successful wikipedia articles are in the math pages btw.

Peter Timusk,

B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.

On 8-Dec-07, at 12:43 PM, Paul B. Hartzog wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> 2) But even this old system of reputation management had some
>> measure of
>> "disagreement by addition."  You can, for example, put your
>> account of a
>> credit dispute on the report in case the bureau can't resolve the
>> dispute
>> (under the US's FCRA).
>>
>> 3) The key problem here is a difference between facts and
>> opinions.  Perhaps
>> opinion statements always ought to invite disagreement by
>> addition; perhaps
>> facts invite disagreement by deletion.  That may be why wikipedia
>> is great
>> for its science pages, but raises all sorts of concerns when it
>> deletes bios
>> on the basis of a group of editors' opinions about the subject's
>> importance.
>> That latter insistence on "fame" seems like a form of artificial
>> scarcity to
>> me.
>>
>> 4) Finally, I have written a paper arguing that search engines
>> need to give
>> people a right to "disagree by addition."  There are many
>> "privacy" or
>> "reputational" challenges arising out of search results.  For
>> example, one
>> New York Times reporter recently recounted her unsuccessful effort
>> to keep a
>> webpage featuring an unflattering photograph of herself from
>> appearing as a
>> high-ranked web result when her name was a query on Google.
>> Google won't
>> take down the result--but shouldn't such a person be able to
>> annotate it
>> (with, say, an asterisk linking to a page with a better picture)?
>>
>> I propose a right not to suppress the results, but merely to add
>> an asterisk
>> next to the hyperlink directing web users to another webpage,
>> which would
>> lead to the complainant's own comment on the objectionable result.
>> Such a
>> right would be based on consumer protections guaranteed by the
>> Fair Credit
>> Reporting Act.
>>
>> Anyway, the paper is here:
>> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=888327
>>
>> A critique is here:
>> http://yalelawjournal.org/2007/09/08/grimmelmann.html
>>
>> and I'll be happy to send anyone my response to the crititque--it
>> will be
>> published next month.
>>
>> best wishes,
>> --Frank
>> blogs @
>> concurringopinions.com
>> madisonian.net
>>

>> On 12/6/07, Paul B. Hartzog <paulbhartzog at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> conversation starter:
>>>
>>> Deletionism, or Disagreement by Deletion
>>>
>>> long time ago in my naive days
>>> Sunir Shah and I got talking about what was good about wikis.

>>> vs.