[iDC] Media dies more slowly than some would like

Gere, Charlie c.gere at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 09:47:35 UTC 2007

This is a really interesting discussion and most helpful for a masters
module I am teaching next term  on the 'book to come', looking at how
new technologies alter or restructure academic and other text-based
discourse

I can't resist throwing in a quote from the essay by Derrida on 'The
Book to Come' which seems to me still relevant in the age of the Kindle.
He suggests that the notion of 'the book to come' might imply a number
of things including

'That the book as such does - or doesn't hasve - a future, now that
electronic and virtual incorporation, the screen and the keyboard,
online transmission, and numerical compostion seems to be dislodging or
supplementing the codex (that gathering of a pile of pages bound
together, the current form of what we generally call a book such that it
can be opened, put on a table, or held in the hands). The codex had
itself supplanted the volume, the volumen, the scroll. It had supplanted
it without making it disappear, I should stress. For what we are
dealling with are never replacements that put an end to what they
replace but rather, if I might use this workd today, restructurations in
which the oldest form survives, and even survives endlessly, coexisting
with the new form and even coming to terms with a new economy - which is
also a calculation in terms of the market as well as in terms of
storage, capital and reserves'.

There is much else of interest in this essay, published in the recent
collection from Stanford, Paper Machine, including the suggestion that
we should 'give up any lamentation' for the supposed 'catastrophe' of
the 'end of the book' because 'we know the book isn't simply going to
disappear', not least the 'fortunately incorrigible' 'festishism' that
sanctifies the 'aura of culture or the cult of the book' and will also
'protect the signs of post-book technologies threatened by even more
advanced technologies'

Charlie Gere
Head of Department
Institute for Cultural Research
Lancaster University Lancaster LA1 4YL UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1524 594446
E-mail: c.gere at lancaster.ac.uk
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fss/cultres/staff/gere.php