[iDC] Media dies more slowly than some would like (David Weinberger)

David Weinberger dweinberger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:24:31 UTC 2007

There's lots of interesting work being done on this. It is, fundamentally,
an ontological problem: What is a book? Is it an edition? A print run? Do
translations count? Large print versions? Parodies? etc. While there are
various standards in place (ISBN for something like editions, FRBR for
various levels of generality XISBN to try to pull together multiple
editions), the problem remains. E.g., if you want to link to a book, what do
you link to?

One of the most promising efforts to aggregate  book information is
OpenLibrary.org. It wants to build home pages for every book. At the home
page you'll find links to all the different editions and versions, to
reviews and commentary, etc. All of the information it gathers will be open.
They have something like 10M book entries already, but they're just at the
beginning of figuring out how to stitch it all together. Plus, they're
looking for more libraries willing to upload their catalogs.

I'm personally also very interested in LibraryThing.com. FreeBase has what
seems like a useful (and extensible) set of book metadata. But there's
_lots_ going on here, and I'm sure many of you know far more about it than
I.

Best,

David W.

--