[iDC] online silence

Jean-baptiste Labrune Jean-Baptiste.Labrune at lri.fr
Wed Aug 29 14:24:46 UTC 2007

Hi Yoram,

and hello to the list, since i'm also a new member,
(i'm j*b from paris, finishing my phd dissertation about
children and creative technologies)

On the contrary to Craig, i think you could write dozen of phd's
on the topic of email :) My phd advisor wrote her dissertation
about email usage by programmers during project Athena (
prototype of X-window system). By presenting quantitative and
qualitative data (Grounded Theory) about email usage, she
  showed that people co-adapt technologies. Her phd here
http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/14087

In continuation of her research, i show that the use of technologies
in creative contexts is an exaptive phenomenon. I borrowed this
term from evolutionnary psychologists, to point the caracteristics
of children reconfigurations in interactive systems (co-opted
adaptation, cooption).  And one of the example i give in this
dissertation
is precisely the email, which is an exaptation of File Transfer
Protocol.
The origin of email stems from a reconfiguration of the initial function
of file's name labels. After the introduction of FTP, they observed
that
people sent 0 Kb files. In fact, people used the name field of files to
exchange messages. After a while, RFC 385 added a new command
called MAIL in the specification: the beginning of a massive
phenomenon.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc385.html

Your project makes me think of a beautiful piece of software called
REMAIL from a researcher now working for Yahoo Research called
Bernard Kerr (among other).
http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/remail/
This software precisely visualizes the level of email feedback according
to your social network, classifiying your contacts in terms of their
rapidity
to answer to your emails or to remain silent. In addition, it gives
you not
only a statistical perspective on your social network but also
research-grade
viz of email activity on the individual and social level. Maybe
visualising time
we spend on emails would make us aware of our infoaddiction, and stop
it, or maybe
it would on the contrary add another obsession to our already
nevrotic email
boulimy. In France, you can get reimbursed if you go to see a
psychonalyst for
this pathology !

Also of interest, the Slow Messenger project  (Julian Bleecker from
USC).
It's a critical design and research piece that let you send very very
slow messages:
http://research.techkwondo.com/index.php?p=310

Good luck for your phd,
Cheers,