[iDC] Online silence and "infomania"

R Labossiere admin at klooj.net
Wed Aug 29 14:06:56 UTC 2007

I  know several people who simply don't reply (even if I think a reply is inferred) unless a reply is specifically requested. They seem to not "get" internet protocol. That leaves me feeling they are doing that "executive" thang, letting you know that in their scheme of importance, you don't rate. But thinking about it, I think, knowing these people to be friends and pretty nice people, that my feelings are fairly unjustified.

In terms of infomania, the question might pivot on how one classifies incoming messages. Most email is not explicit, saying neither "please reply" nor "no reply required."

We have learned certain behaviors in other media. Generally one returns phone calls because the assumption is that a person is calling you not to give you information but because they want to actually talk to you, to converse. If that's not the case, and they are leaving you a phone message, they'll usually say something like, "You don't need to call me back, just wanted you to know."

By contrast, with snail mail letters, one rarely replies because generally the medium is used to deliver information, not to engage in conversation. The exceptions would be legal correspondence perhaps where there is a kind of recording/documentation of "positions" going on, or personal correspondence (love letters, belles lettres).

Perhaps the issue of online silence is not really about the recipient and how they reply or don't reply, but about the sender. As a sender, I make assumptions: that the recipient will somehow just "know" how to respond; that email is more like the phone than snail mail; that email is for conversation, not information; that if I don't get a personal reply I am being snubbed.

In fact, email is a hybrid medium, both letter and telephone, so there is more than one norm at work: some people apply the norm of letters, no reply unless specifically called for, and others the phone norm, reply because people want to engage in exchange. Given the vagaries, perhaps the email norm should be to be explicit if you want a reply. In fact, I might try testing this out on one person I know who seems to be particularly "thick" when it comes to knowing when I want to hear back and when I don't.

I myself try to reply immediately or within 24 hours to personal mail. I don't reply to spam obviously, information messages from companies or organizations, cute or funny mail forwarded by friends, fyi mail from friends, or mail from strangers that is below some line of intelligence (like where they really have made no effort to learn what I do, so are emailing like a 'shot in the dark').

Robert Labossiere