[iDC] media curating & production

Cynthia B Rubin cbrubin at risd.edu
Sat Aug 25 17:39:38 UTC 2007

Hi every one

First of all, I think that artist residencies are one of the best
ways to get funding and resources to artists.  An artist residency
can be more effective for the artist than cash, because a residency
includes an institution that has a vested interest in seeing the work
completed and publicized, and can support the artist in securing
access to production resources.  As a vehicle for public funding, it
can also be effective, because it is less vulnerable to be seen as a
gift to an individual instead of an ongoing program to strengthen our
cultural dialogue.

Nonetheless, I would be concerned about the role of curators in
selecting artists for residencies and overseeing production.
Curators have their own visions, and they want to see work produced
that supports their theories.  These theories may be fantastically
interesting and stimulating, but they are not necessarily the
reflective of the full range of new directions in art.  If, as Jerome
says, contemporary curators are  "the a creative node between artists
and institutions' work force, framing and making these production
happen with the artists and sometimes hundreds of other people..."
then are we not in danger of turning artists into journeymen (journey-
people) who merely produce work that is commissioned by powerful
patrons?  Are we sacrificing autonomy? Original thinking?

On flip side, of course, is the argument that artists who do not
listen to the advice of curators/patrons are in danger of loosing
touch with the public completely.  This is an important consideration
- and one that might be convincing were it not for the fact that the
current curatorial direction seems to be a feeding frenzy centered on
super-stars, and that many (not all) prefer artists with work that is
easy to explain, favoring one-trick work over multi-faceted complexity.

How do we find the right balance?

Cynthia Beth Rubin
http://CBRubin.net