[iDC] Don Tapscott's Wikinomics: A Dismal Netology?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:03:48 UTC 2007

Just a quick reply to this one.

I think that the various attempts to make sense of emerging passionate and
collaborative production outside the institutional frameworks of the
for-profit world, such as this one, are legitimate. But indeed, I think
there is a key differentiation to be made, and that is the following:

1) between all those, and that includes both liberals such as
Benkler/Tapscott, but also left commentators (does Trebor belong to this
category) who believe that peer to peer is entirely immanent to the current
production system, a simple appendage to the market

2) and those, such as myself, who believe it has a 'transcendent' potential
as well. Taking the latter view does not mean upholding any automaticity,
nor denying the immanence, but simple accepting that the immanent aspect is
not sufficient, that both the system-confirming and system-transcending
aspects and potential have to be held at the same time, to make a full sense
of the phenomena.

This being said, both communities and institutions need to take account of
each other, and to undertake processes of adaptation, and this is what the
Wikinomics book addresses, from the point of view of the for-profit world,

Michel

On 8/20/07, pat kane <scottishfutures at googlemail.com> wrote:

> *From: *pat kane <playethical at gmail.com>
> *Date: *19 August 2007 21:51:29 BDT
> *To: *iDC list <idc at bbs.thing.net>
> *Subject: **Don Tapscott's Wikinomics: A Dismal Netology?*
>
> Hi all
> Trebor asked me to post this - I've been reading Don Tapscott's Wikinomics
> for a review for the Independent, a UK 'quality' tabloid. It's not up to the
> usual levels of theoretical precision that abounds on iDC, and you'll all
> know most of the references, but it might at least be a thought-starter. It
> also has a reference - I think the first newspaper reference ever! - to the
> work of Micheal Bauwens, our resident integral net-sage. Any (and better)
>
> Pk
>
> Pat Kane
> http://www.theplayethic.com
> http://theplayethic.typepad.com
> http://www.newintegrity.org
> http://www.scottishfutures.net
> http://www.patkane.com
>
> All mail to: patkane at theplayethic.com
>
> *Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything*
>
> * *
>
> *By Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams*
>

> Reviewed by Pat Kane
>

> A spectre is haunting the information age – the spectre of communism. And
> if you don't believe me, listen to Bill Gates<http://news.com.com/2102-1041_3-5514121.html?tag=st.util.print>.
> In a 2005 interview, when asked whether the idea of intellectual property
> was being challenged by the net generation's ingrained habit of downloading,
> using and sharing content for free, Gates disagreed.
>

> "I'd say that of the world's economies, there's more that believe in
> intellectual property today than ever. There are fewer communists in the
> world today than there were", mused the uber-geek. "There are some new
> modern-day sort of communists who want to get rid of the incentive for
> musicians and moviemakers and software makers under various guises. They
> don't think that those incentives should exist."
>

> Gates' views <http://www.openoffice.org/> have since been ridiculed widely
> throughout the tech community (though they recently received some elegant
> support in Andrew Keen's *The Cult of the Amateur*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Keen>).
> But the tycoon's anxieties weren't baseless. In particular, Microsoft faces
> a swarming battalion of services on the internet which promise to provide
> everything the software giant does in your computer – email, database,
> operating system, everything – for nothing.
>

> These services (Open Office <http://www.openoffice.org/>, Ubuntu<http://www.ubuntu.com/>,
> Firefox <http://en.www.mozilla.com/en/firefox/> and many others) have
> mostly been created, and developed, by digital idealists committed to a
> vision of knowledge and culture which – if not communist – then at least
> revives the old idea of a 'commonwealth<http://www.bostonreview.net/BR27.3/bollier.html>',
> a realm of resources available as of right to free men and women, and places
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm