[iDC] Immaterial Labor and life beyond utility

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 17 18:11:04 UTC 2007

davin heckman wrote:
> At the risk of sounding naive...

Well, no, this is one of the most interesting posts I've recently read,
thank you. You capture the, shall we say, duplicitous nature of everyday
life under the capitalist system just about perfectly, and in
wonderfully commonsense language.

 > Utility or Subjectivity are not either/or propositions.   They can and
 > should be viewed side by side, building each other up, and expanding
 > the possibilities for moral action.

I have never read Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations or his Theory of Moral
Sentiments, but it seems that the side-by-side situation is exactly what
he was looking for, by all accounts.

The problem as I see it is that the 5% of whom you speak conceive the
situation neither in terms of usefulness or singularity, but rather in
terms of power. What they seek to accumulate has nothing to do with
utility or subjectivity, because, in the case of a guy like Murdoch, it
so vastly exceeds whatever they could need or desire. By progressively
accumulating such an immense, literally world-spanning media empire,
Murdoch apparently wants to discover how many angels can dance on the
head of a pin, by making us all jiggle at his will here on the cosmic
pinhead of planet Earth. He seeks a godlike power.

Perhaps a good reason not to do any more free advertising for the charms
of NewsCorpSpace?

best, Brian

--
http://brianholmes.wordpress.com