[iDC] life beyond utility

Ksenija Berk ksenija.berk at siol.net
Sun Aug 5 11:12:07 UTC 2007

Hi, Trebor and all,

I do not have an answer to Trebor's question if life beyond utility is possible today.
Thinking about this particular issue has brougt me to the theories on bare life
and their use within contemporary art practices. Perhaps one way of seeing life
beyond utility could be found in artistic strategies that focus on theories of bare
life as a way of critical engagement with contemporary society... as the way of
exlproring capsularity of the world we live in...

There are two projects I'd like to stress attention:
The Documenta 12 Magazine project around a theme bare life
http://www.documenta12.de/english/magazines.html

The main topic of the project was described as follows:
"What is bare life?
This question underscores the sheer vulnerability and complete
exposure of being. Bare life deals with that part of our existence
from which no measure of security will ever protect us. But as in
sexuality, absolute exposure is intricately connected with infinite
pleasure. There is an apocalyptic and obviously political dimension
to bare life (brought out by torture and the concentration camp).
There is, however, also a lyrical or even ecstatic dimension to it -
a freedom for new and unexpected possibilities (in human relations as
well as in our relationship to nature or, more generally, the world
in which we live). Here and there, art dissolves the radical
separation between painful subjection and joyous liberation. But what
does that mean for its audiences?"

The second project, focused on Agamben's conception of bare life,
which opens some postcolonial and gender theories as well is called
FWC First Wolrd Camp, by Slovene artists Emil Hrvatin and Peter Senk:
http://www.fwc.si/

The objective of the FWC platform is artistic research in the demilitarisation
of isolated communities. FWC research is focusing on refugee camps, military
bases, gated communities and other modes of capsularity. The question is:
can a concept of a "camp" serve as a role model for any kind of capsularity we
are looking at?

Best,
Ksenija