[iDC] Critique (?) of "immaterial labour"

Chris Byrne chris at crowriver.net
Wed Aug 1 21:18:59 UTC 2007

Good to see iDC list back up and running. Thanks to The Thing for
supporting the multi-layered and always interesting discussions that
happen in this space. Below is a message which bounced from the list
on 22nd July. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned provocateur but here
goes...

---

Again I risk being labelled "the great forwarder of messages" on this
list. Hear me out though (or rather the author of that which I
forward). After all, why create 'new' meaning when recycling/
appropriation is so much more efficient? :)

I digress. I noted recently a blog posting on 'LeisureArts' which
takes to task the writings of both Trebor Scholz and Joasia Krysa, in
particular their insistence on "immaterial labour" as the foundation
for social networking phenomena of the "Web 2.0" era. The article
focuses on key issues that iDC list has been dealing with lately, so
it may be of interest, not least as it interrogates the arguments of
prominent members of this network. I stress that I find the critique
wanting, in that it relies too heavily on Baudrillard to dismiss
Scholz and Krysa: yet what intrigues is that it finds an alternative
source within post-Marxist theory to address the question of
'sociable web media' (Scholz). Also, I'm not sure how to answer
McLuhan's "rear view mirror" analogy, as cited in the blog post: it
seems a reminder that we ought to consider certain assumptions around
media and networks. However (frustratingly for this reader) an
alternative thesis is not laid out. The critique is all.

http://leisurearts.blogspot.com/2007/05/immaterial-labor-scholzkrysa-
rear-view.html

Chris

www.arcprojects.org