[iDC] RE: THE ANTI WEB 2.0 MANIFESTO

Merrin W. W.Merrin at swansea.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 08:06:21 EDT 2007

The Pro-Anti-Web 2.0 Manifesto

1.	Oh wise Andrew, I've rejected 'the cult of the amateur' and now
I'm slightly lost ... How do I know now who has 'something interesting
to say'? How do I discover the 'interesting' truths that hide among all
the uninteresting blogs and wikis ...? I implore you to deliver unto us
each day a global email telling us what is 'interesting' and what we
think about it ...
2.	 I too was once a tasteless moronic member of the masses until I
saw Andrew's light ... Oh blessed was the day that one of the very
'elite' 'truth makers' he discusses in his manifesto hierophantically
manifested himself in my inbox. Now I forego all taste except his own
... out of interest any tips on what's good on telly tonight?
3.	No, real life shouldn't be like fiction ... tell us what it
should be like. I'm tasteless and I'm probably getting it all wrong...
4.	That's right, big media isn't bad. Like Adorno and Horkheimer
argue in 'the culture industry' it's all really, really good isn't it?
(Unless I've misread that because I'm not a clever elite truth maker
...?). Anyway, praise be to big media for discovering and bringing that
genius Bono to us all!
5.	You're right, the public shouldn't think they're Orwell. They're
not fit to read Orwell! You tell them Andrew, they're scum!
6.	Content and advertising become indistinguishable ...? You mean
like in postings on email lists?
7.	You're right again! There's rude, wobbly bits all over the web!
We're all off to hell in a hand-cart. Please Andrew assume control of
the entire web and censor it for us (except for the 'interesting
things', see point 1)
8.	Faith in the virtue of human nature? Put us right Andrew, tell
us again oh Manichean one, what evil excreta the presumptuous posting
masses are!
9.	I give up, I can't possibly work out the 'delusion' in the 'four
key words in the digital lexicon'. Can't you just do it for us all (see
point 1)
10.	 Everything will be opinion? Not whilst we have the words of
Andrew (see point 1 again).

Repent, oh noxious, moronic IDC masses, your list is now defunct... your
saviour comes!