[iDC] Bloggers Code of Conduct

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 06:29:54 EDT 2007

First name is Michel.

Again a short reaction. I just returned to my home in Thailand and have to
deal with my mother's passing just two days ago. This is unrelated but I
thought it interesting enough to pass along. The first thing I notice is how
the members of my extended thai family, did no longer want to walk alone in
the house in the morning or in the evening, for fear of my mother's spirit
or 'ghost' as they say. Then yesterday a monk came, to put them at ease, he
'saw' my mother, gardening, 'talked' with her, saying she was asking for
clothes and flowers at her funeral, and say she was trying to get in her old
house in Belgium as well. It suddenly dawned on me that the reason the
offerings are giving to the departed, is not at all because they bring them
with them in the next life (see the elaborate paper houses, cars and money
given to the Chinese departed), but that it is really only to appease the
dead.

I think that the loose usage of gnosticism is appropriate, because, apart
from its pure expressions of world rejection, the appeal to leave behind the
human and natural constraints is a universal given. The point is not to
reject it, but to understand it, as it is mostly dangerous when we ignore
this impulse (this was the thesis of the TechnoCalyps documentary on
transhumanism, whose first version I co-produced in 1997-98).

I think something much more simple is going on in blogs, nl. the anonymity.
It is the same reason why people are aggresive inside their cars.  In fact,
because I only participate in selected fora, where people know each other
and care for their reputation, I have hardly seen any flaming for the last
five years. It is in my view fairly easy to moderate such lists, and with
blogs, to preselect against personal attacks and ranting, etc... This is a
civilizational duty, and important, because failure to do so chases away the
best people. Those that fail to conform to the 'form' (content is free, but
it is 'how' you say it that is important), can be either ignored or removed.
I don't think in fact we need rituals, since I've seen so many
well-functioning ones without them.

Michel