[iDC] Re: A critique of sociable (and mobile) web media

Martin Lucas mlucas at igc.org
Thu Apr 19 14:22:37 EDT 2007

I attended the lecture where Ethan, Trebor, and Danah spoke.
Trebor’s suggestion that sociality has become a form of exploited
labor rang true for me, but what that means in terms of courses of
social action is less clear.

As Ethan stressed, you don’t have to do it their way.  They provide a
service you can take or leave.  And most people choose to take it.
The notion that this is a Faustian bargain is a non-starter. If
people don’t feel exploited on any articulable level, what can you do?
The way that hegemonic forces define choice seems obvious when you
talk about television or the print media, and so unclear to people
when you talk about the internet.  Listening to the discussion, I
felt that we are at a point sort of like the early days of factory
labor, where the fact that people are being brought together in a new
way is just starting to reflect itself in terms of the consciousness
of a predicament.

Danah’s suggested that youth are excluded more and more from real
public space shed an interesting light on youth use of online spaces
such as Myspace. In my mind’s eye, I started to compare the youth of
Los Angeles to the English peasantry forced off the land by the
Enclosure acts, only instead of being sent to Australia, they have to
do time in Second Life.

Choice in our era is a problematic notion in general, but
specifically we can ask ‘Where do you go?’  if you turn off and tune
elsewhere?

Trebor suggested that the non-profit route is insignificant.  He
mentioned Craigs List, I believe, and one of the questioners made a
plea for a public, presumably government-owned online space that
seemed well-intentioned but also seemed to fall flat.

In a market sense the insignificance of alternatives in more than
apparent.  Any discussion of monopolies in industry would give the
$155 Billion Google and the $300 Billion Microsoft and their
confreres control of a market.  When I came home from the Vera
lecture I noticed the story about Google offering $3.2Billion for the
online ad agency Double-click.  The irony of Microsoft challenging
the sale on monopoly grounds adds to one’s conviction that the future
of the online universe will be controlled by fewer large players.

"Together, Google and DoubleClick will empower agencies, advertisers,
and publishers to collaborate more efficiently and effectively, which
will, in turn, provide a better experience for our users. "So says
Susan Wojcicki, Google's VP for Product Management.

What increased monopoly control means online is different than what
it means in television, radio or print, where it is more difficult to
become your own producer, but it exists.  I would not argue that non-
profit entitities will be significant competition on that level.

Ethan himself has been central to creating a project Global Voices,
globalvoicesonline.org, a developing world voice that speaks to power
in a politically intriguing way.  His astuteness in creating such a
group, and the crowd obviously enjoyed the presentations of online
citizen media political action in difficult circumstances in East
Africa and Southeast Asia,  is an important quality.  I don’t share
the belief that you can just leave or turn off.  But I do believe
alternative spaces are important, if only for postulating an
alternative, for creating cultural frameworks, skill sets and even
modest infrastructure.  Perhaps as someone who has worked in
alternative and community media for many years  I have to.  But what
might alternatives mean, and how can they mean something valuable?

Unfortunately the ground is shifting rapidly, casting the possibility
of even a relatively open online universe in another light.

Another trend that bodes poorly for a free or open space online is
the significant move of online culture to mobile devices. Industry
statistics suggest that mobile devices will be the major route to the
internet in just a couple of years. Particularly in the US these
mobile platforms are closed and proprietary.  Their future
development in the hands of operators and other big players moves
them more in the direction of the worst kind of television and
commercial radio.

While in East Africa an NGO can negotiate to develop social software
for cellphone use, that’s not much of an option in the US.
How that might change is difficult to see.  When one adds the rapid
development of locative devices for control both in public space and
the workplace, the picture looks rather grim.

  Trebor advocates in "Re-public" an invigorated media literacy,
making a plea for “a participatory skill set, resistance to the
monocultures of the web and self-awareness.”

I would suggest that we need to occupy the mobile/locative platform
space, at least speculatively.  I would argue that what is needed are
new efforts to bring together people who together might be able to
offer tools, thinking and energy.

To this end several groups here in New York are putting together an
‘unconference’ to bring together programmers, designers, activists,
students, and artists in early May.  See www.mobilizednyc.org.  We
invite participation and of course, discussion!

Cheers,

Marty Lucas