[iDC] Re: a critique of naturalized capitalism

Nicholas Ruiz III editor at intertheory.org
Tue Apr 10 18:00:47 EDT 2007

Hi Cecil/all,

We cannot expect to do old thinking for new
circumstances.  Indeed, that will never do.  No
philosophy is that superior.  Deleuze: “The time is
coming when it will hardly be possible to write a book
of philosophy as it has been done for so long: ‘Ah!
the old style...!’”   That time has come.

Will it be enough to speak of Cinema? Culture?
Theater?  Capital?  Code?  Will we need to ‘speak’ in
other multimediated ways?  Ours is an age of media
bio-synthesis, a political sculpture of flesh.  The
rank and file are asleep.  The masses slumber.  The
biometric trajectory is fixed and the designer
sequences are being loaded.  We roll the dice.

For the West, alas we have decided: who needs culture,
when we have economy?  We hide; in our offices, in our
buildings, in our exchanges, in our lives which have
been mortgaged to the flow of price.  We have always
hidden, for out in the open, out on the plain, beneath
the trees, there is but one constant—the danger of
loss.  We rarely feel.  But if we feel, we feel
cheated.  Such is a culture of celebrity.  Too fat,
too tall, too thin, too small...we look to surgery.  A
celebrity culture that thrives upon the editing of
bodies; biomediation as enculturation in a suspended
resolution of evolutionary angst: a society of
particles uncertain, a snowball of flakes; such a
solved sterility will be easily melted and evaporated
by a fate we cannot even imagine.

Production is never first a social body—that point
comes after the fact of singular biotic production.
One cannot sequester and capitalize on oxygen (i.e.
breathe) for someone else, though we do have
mechanical respirators.

NRIII

=== message truncated ===

Dr. Nicholas Ruiz III