[iDC] Re: A critique of sociable web media

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Mon Apr 9 08:47:18 EDT 2007

Michel,

>As I see it, we have sharing platforms, operating largely outside
>a monetary circuit, and the attention being monetized in order to fund the
>platform and make a profit.

No, no- that's a misreading. I did not speak about the types of platforms that you are referring to but instead I explicitly talked about the--core sites of the sociable web--,
those that attract most of the traffic online because of the "user-generated content." (I even named names.) "Peripheral" sites are much more balanced in their exchange value:
the costs to run the thing and the profit gained are much more balanced. I wrote about that at length in response to Howard.
I'm curious if you'd disagree also that the core sites of the web are amoral (Google, Yahoo, iTunes,...)

Trebor