[iDC] Re: Toward a Post-Post-Critical Future

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 29 20:51:23 EDT 2006

Trebor Scholz wrote:
> To give up the field of the technological imaginary is wrong because it
> leaves that space entirely to the "other" side of technology. It takes
> many individuals to get a social movement on the way.

Yeah, exactly, that's for sure!

What I currently like in the "Post-Critical Future" is the
future part...

The current level of criticism now tends to lag far behind
the development of both technology and governmental theory,
imho. Both in terms of complexity, and of brute materiality.
The RFID phenomenon is a perfect example. On the one hand
this is mainly about inventory. As corporations go seriously
global they are confronted with new problems of managing
stock, distribution and sales. RFID tagging is conceived
first of all to know what left the factory, what's in the
warehouse and what's in the store. Such knowledge is
instrumental to the expansion of corporation toward
oligopoly status - that means, being one of the 3-10 players
accounting for the majority of activity in a given
industrial and commercial sector, across the world. The
impact of these oligopolies, in terms of homogenization of
the world space, is tremendous. I find that art practices
based on the old trope of singularizing the product by
imbuing it with the idiosyncrasies of your personal behavior
are kind of, well, silly compared to this brute materiality.
You're fooling yourself, deliberately, if you think
individualizing the commodity is an interesting strategy.
You're also fooling yourself if you think someone wants to
surveil you. They don't care. The corporations operate on
behavioral statistics garnered at the global level.

Production, distribution and retailing are, however, only
three out of five pieces in corporate strategy. The other
two are advertising and customer feedback. In terms of the
latter, the potential contribution of RFID tech remains more
speculative, but it fits into the general pattern of vastly
expanded data-gathering on consumer behavior. The great goal
is to generate continuous and finely grained feedback
(starting, for instance, with tracing customer behavior
within the planned environment of the store) so as to
improve the targeting of advertising and in this way, gain
greater control over the structuring and predictability of
markets, which since the 1880s has been perceived as the key
to realizing a profit on expanded production. Here,
statistics are used as clues for transforming environments.
Change the layout of the store, change the advertising
signals, change the behavior of the consumer. It's a very
old and banal kind of logic. And yet this is where the
current transformations of governmental theory begin.

It is difficult not to be deeply shocked and worried by the
success of the current American government in making 9/11
into a new Pearl Harbor. This indicates a pretty high level
of capacity to perform affective and intellectual control.
Again this is done, first by the application of
data-gathering techniques (from questionnaires to focus
groups to data-mining of communications), then by the
modeling (or simulation) of a population's behavior, then by
subsequent experimentation with the introduction of new
stimuli, first into the model, then into reality. How about
yellow, orange, red on the nightly news? How about on your
dinner table? What effects would it produce on segment A of
the population? On segment B, C, D? At stake in contemporary
governmental theory, now more than ever, is the notion that
one need not act on individual players, but rather on the
rules of the game. Such interventions on the parameters of
human interaction have already been enormously successful at
the institutional level, in the context of what is known as
"neoliberal reform" (or in Europe, "new public management").
The goal has been to impose the calculation of one's
personal human capital, and of the risks to which one
exposes it, as the two great imperatives of
hyperindividualized subjectivity in the post-welfare world.
But that was yesterday, practically the age of innocence. In
the age of nano-bio-cogno-infotech convergence, the range of
"rules" which can be acted on is tremendous. As Jordan
Crandall points out in a recent text, what's being targetted
is that fraction of a second where you decide what to do,
before any process of reflexivity has been engaged. Hit the
right button and they'll never think twice! From the
neurochemical to the symbolic, Big Brother has already
decided what you are going to do.

The "intelligent buildings" being discussed on this list
form a perfect example of a cybernetic environment that is
conceived to support a particular range of interaction. What
I find inadequate - and at a certain level, even
hypocritical - are the kinds of strategies that are
suggested in terms of responding to this incredible wave of
new theory and new materiality of top-down control. The
discussion of Paske's "ill-defined goals" is mildly
interesting in this regard - at least people are thinking
about the problems of interactivity and its limited range of
binary choices - but still, an aleatory encounter with a
slightly dysfunctional machine is very unlikely to produce
anything more than an isolated inquiry as to what might be
going on in the more common experiences of normalized
interaction. As a critic, I think that the ambition of the
inquiries is much too low. As an experimenter, of course I
am very interested to go out and try just about anything -
but I don't expect to see much in the way of a result before
the theory gets a lot better. As a reader of the history of
the avant-gardes, I think a rehash of psychogeography tends
to remain yesterday's solutions to yesterday's problems.

The most dismaying thing to me is the slavishness of people
who call themselves artists or intellectuals, with respect
to their careers. The fetish-object that holds you on a
leash is mainly the way you think you are appearing in the
eye of your potential employer (or admirer, in an attention
economy). This seems to condition the vast majority of work
on so-called new media or whatever you want to call it,
where instead of state bureaucracies as in the equally
tiresome worlds of subsidized contemporary art, it is rather
telcos and equipment manufacturers who put up the money for
the service rendered by the artist: which consists in
naturalizing the new technology for the succesful anesthesia
of that shrinking fraction of the public who might
statistically be presumed capable of feeling alienated and
putting up some token resistance.

I would say that the above critique, cast in much more
precise terms and supported with specific case studies
(which I myself both do and also look for, by the way),
would constitute a sufficient departure point for something
a little more interesting. One of the things that could be
done right away is to use mobile communications media to
constitute groups which could build up a sensory, narrative
and relational consistency between each other, on a
deliberately singularizing basis, at collective variance
with respect to the norms of contemporary
hyperindividualism. Such groups could both report on the
manipulatory characteristics of the environments they
encounter (exploring, for instance, the kinds of intelligent
buildings or urban screens that now modulate our passage
through cities) and at the same time, develop dissident
mythologies, heteronomic signifying practices, alternative
sensoriums. The capacity to speak a language and to inhabit
an affective universe that peels away from the constantly
reiterated codes is not something that will fall ripe from
the sky or emerge full-blown from an aleatory experience,
but is rather the fruit of a long, immense, and reasoned
disordering of all the senses, to recall the phrase of an
earlier era. But today that entails a critique of the
immense labor of imposing order that is going on all around
us. The moment of believing you could "get there first" and
determine the destiny of a new technological phylum by sheer
force of enthusiasm has been gone since the tech bubble
burst and the corps started demanding hard returns on their
investment. Nowadays, doing anything real means accepting a
minority, undergound status and all the undertainties of
working without any clear support or public. The elected
representatives of a democratic country just voted to fuck
off the Geneva convention. At the very best, the
post-critical future is a name for a contemporary utopia.

best, BH