[iDC] Embodiment is about action in context

Karmen Franinovic k.franinovic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 10:05:46 EDT 2006

Dear Omar,

I would love to learn more about Pask's "machines with underspecified
goals". Usman can probably help here? (see his project Paskian
Environments http://www.haque.co.uk/paskianenvironments.php ).

Re: learning. I am very interested in enactive learning/knowledge which is
acquired/conveyed through our bodies rather then through symbols (numbers,
words) and icons (images). The child development is often divided in three
stages of learning: enactive, iconic and symbolic. Alan Kay, Bill Verplank
and others argue that computer interfaces developed in the direction
opposite from that of the child development: first we had the symbolic stage
(DOS..), then the iconic stage (introduction of windows etc) and now we are
moving towards the enactive stage (tangible interfaces, ambient etc). I
think that enactive learning and interfaces offer a powerful way of
subverting behaviours and raising awareness/possibilities for new
interactions, relations, becomings …

In relation to R&Sie I had on my mind projects such as "I've heard about the
node" (http://www.new-territories.com/I'veheardabout.htm<http://www.new-territories.com/I%27veheardabout.htm>)
or "Silverelief
/ B-mu" ( http://www.new-territories.com/roche2002bis.htm.) The
architectural/urban form in these projects is in-formed by, or to use a
better term coupled to, human and environmental matter, in direct and
complex way.  Here, the idea of morphing which was/is important process in
blob architecture, leaves the screen and becomes an inorganic nature (?)
changing as the human-environment-... relationships change. The kinetics of
architectural form are unpredictable and dynamic, quasi-organic (in terms of
process). Here is R&Sie's description of the "I've heard about the node"  :
"The urban structure "I've heard about" is a habitable organism. It develops
by means of adaptive, transitory scenarios in which the operational mode is
uncertainty. It is written based on growth scripts, open algorithms, that
remain permeable not only to human expressions (expressions of
individuality, relational, conflictual and transactional modes, etc.), but
also to the most discrete data such as the chemical emissions of those who
inhabit it. This biostructure becomes the visible part of human
contingencies and their negotiation in real time. Due to its modes of
emergence, its fabrication cannot be delegated to a political power that
would deny its exchange procedures and design its contours in advance,
either through mnemonics or coercion." (Social Protocol – you can find the
whole text on the webpage above)

Also this project points out some of the ethical problems that we may
encounter when we try to build "An active architecture … that really
responded to human wish and …(which) attempts to sharpen to the maximum its
power of response and ability to respond to as many reasonable potentials as
possible." (Archigram 8, 1968.)

 I think R&Sie brought some fresh ideas into blob architecture, especially
compared to other architectural projects in which the form (shaped by rather
digital tools and algorithms, flows of people, random processes etc) is
frozen, and becomes static as soon as it has to leave the screen. During my
studies in architecture I worked with blob-digital forms (
http://www.zero-th.org/ProjectsKarmen.html see the bottom of the page) and
in my Laurea thesis I explored the use of digital tools in architectural
design, and the problem of the freezing of the morphing forms - which
particularly troubled me.  That was one reason for me to move towards
interaction design/art/environment where I could explore real dynamics of
urban space.

Why environmental design/psychology research and ecological approach to
phyisical and social spaces were lost once again in benefit of formalism?
 Hard questions …  but it is not surprising that we are looking back at that
work which needs to be further explored  (for example Familiar Stangers
project refers to Milgram's experiments).

Karmen