[iDC] Questioning two experiences with situated technology

Matthew Waxman waxman.matt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 23:34:00 EDT 2006

Hi iDC,

I have two questions for the list and conference about the relation of
situated technology and architecture which approach the topic from a more
'bottom-up' perspective, as told from two personal situations:

1. Re situating the context of 'back-end' perspectives:
When I arrived at ISEA 2006/ZeroOne, after checking in, I headed to my first
volunteer site: I was to work at the Interactive Cafe. Stoked, I headed to
the San Jose Museum of Art.  Inside the Interactive Cafe, amid a giant
spoon, video projects, and changing mood lights, I was asked if I could help
clean the floor.  With eager eyes I asked the cafe for a broom.

Maybe this wasn't that great of a volunteer job, I wondered, despite
recognizing the fact the floor seriously needed to be swept.  As I swept
away, brushing crumbs and dust from under tables, out under crevices below a
box of throbbing-hot computers, and around the feet and paths of customers
enjoying the joys of interactive, electronic, communication art, something
hit me: I realized that none of the interactive art in the Cafe dealt with
those who maintained or serviced the cafe. All the art--befitting the cafe
context--was geared towards the cafe users.
**
In what ways might situated technologies be used as a tool for activating
not only the context of user-oriented perspectives but the contexts of
non-user-oriented (such as service and 'marginalized') perspectives?  And
how might situated technologies and architectural form (both together) be
able to mix or remix these different perspectives on context?

2. Re technology and educational spaces:
I currently work at a high school where one of my main responsibilities is
to manage the school's computer labs. The school is aware that mobile
technology would prove to be very helpful in education... there are some
schools now with mobile laptop labs, there are wifi enabled campuses, and
then there is the ability to give all the students in a classroom Palm
pilots and networked them together.  There are rich benefits when computing
becomes further situated in the classroom... untethered computing arises new
opportunities for tethering computing to a particular class context and the
teacher's needs and wants...

But an interesting architectural problem arises, too: with computers more
able to become part of actual classrooms, there might be less reason to have
an actual "computer lab" in the high school.  Does this suggest that a room
for computers only exists because of the size of old computer hardware? Will
networked, situated technologies mean the demise of rooms meant for computer
use, particular contexts dedicated to (and with meaning attached to)
computing?

On the other hand, computer labs, as a distinct space, can function like an
internet cafe and spawn discussion and physical interaction in situ with
computing.  What if the relationship of situated technology and architecture
is reorganized: rather than seeing situated technologies as mostly tools for
helping the user become more context-aware, how about also using situated
technologies to help situate an architectural context for computing itself?

(Wish I could make the conference!)
 Best,
-Matt

Matt Waxman