[iDC] Beyond the blob

Christiane Robbins cpr at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 28 17:34:25 EDT 2006

Dear Mark –

Thanks so much for your clarification and the differentiation which you
are seeking to address in your forthcoming conference.  While I also
appreciate your bifurcation of screen based digital design and
pervasive/embedded/locative/context-aware technologies (computing as
environment,) I ask if this binary is as firmly ensconced as you may
presuppose? Or, conversely, is it really necessary?  I embraced the
digital realm as one from which to negotiate and re-negotiate
conventional boundaries and territories – whether they be technologies,
media or cultures themselves.  I sense that you would agree with that
position.

However, your bifurcation is one that invokes an aesthetic legacy
inherent to “electronic arts” (now that certainly is an old phrase
dating back to what - the ‘60’s!) Relative to digital-time, this
division seems simultaneously antediluvian and totally appropriate to
the early 21st c.  It is a division that couches itself in the cover
stories attributed to the categories of digital, generative tools (as
aides to structural elements of the materialization of “things” – i.e.
CAD, digital cinema and graphics) and to a modernist notion of
technologies, which are (arguably) deemed intrinsic to technology
itself.  And, I have to admit that I find this designation somewhat
arbitrary.  I also find it a curious division that might evince an
older, covert academic and socio-economic bias of science and
engineering as opposed to the humanities  – a bias that we see played
out time and time again in our cultures.  The disparities inherent in
academic funding is but one clear example of the differing exchange
rates in currencies brought to the table.

Be that as it may, I believe the importance to look at legacies
informing your conference cannot be underestimated.  My disclaimer here
is that, as Trebor is aware, for some reason I am not receiving all of
the IDC posts and, as such, may be working with only partial
information, as in the case of citing Laura Kurgan.  I’d like to think
that , as opposed to that I might not be reading these posts as closely
as I should!

It strikes me that there is a wealth of experimental projects/research
that has transpired prior to 1997 that could be helpful to this
discussion.  By way of example, Douglas Davis’s book from 1973 “ Art
and the Future” (not easily accessible to be sure!) takes a look at
Gyorgy Kepes, and the “environmental exhibition” which he organized at
the Center for Advanced Visual Studies, or groups such as ZERO and GRAV
and see that their practices predate and greatly inform the work that
is being put up as examples on this list.  EAT’s Pepsi-Cola pavilion in
the 1970’s World’s Fair in which they designed the “environment within
and without the Pavilion from the cloud that floated above the dome
(designed by physicist, Tom Mee) to the responsive sound, light and
mirror systems inside, most of them triggered by the movement and
behavior of the spectators.”
.
I guess this is all to say that we have always gone along for the ride
….

These “futurists” seemed to have envisioned large-scale installations
which draw very strong parallels to, what is termed here as,
interactive architecture.  Theirs was primarily for entertainment,
leisure or tourist services and attracted the backing of such corporate
entities as Pepsi-Cola.  Today the merging of these elements can be
seen in the widely-accepted appreciation of such forms in the
commercial theme parks such as Disney or Universal where interactive
environments and role-playing are scripted by central casting.

I don’t intend to hang myself on what may appear to be an argument of
technological determinism that argues that these technologies
unilaterally inflate the hegemonic control by a technocratic elite.
That’s a tired, if not totally inoperable refrain, to be sure.  Without
doubt, technologies have a limited agency in our world.  But at the
same time, one cannot deny that these technologies are inscribed with
specific cultural narratives that resituate dominant power relations
and dynamics, as do the topologies in which they are situated.  Hence,
when I am discussing notions of “situated technologies” these are two
aspects to which I refer.

And to your last, point, my own work has involved issues and
technologies associated with what you are termed interactive
architecture and what Karmen so thoughtfully offered on embodiment.  In
2002-3, my project, Blue-Screen_MOTO received a COLA Individual Artist
Fellowship award ( descriptions below) but the interactive part of this
was sidelined by Disney which is actually  quite a story!  In any case,
my current project, I-5_PASSING had a beta installation in the group
show, Edge Conditions, at the San Jose Museum of Art which some of you
may have seen during the recent ISEA
(http://01sj.org/content/blogcategory/65/84/) or at the Beall Center
Technospheres show that just closed.  The more developed large-scale
installation and public siting is scheduled for premiere next year in
CA.

Most importantly, thanks for the on-going discussion, Mark et all –

All best,

Chris