[iDC] Beyond the blob

Christiane Robbins at Jetztzeit cpr at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 27 20:09:31 EDT 2006

Dear Mark,

In my earlier email, from which I believe Brian was responding, my intent was not to point to Starachitects, it was merely to expand beyond the seemingly narrowcasting of this discussion to primarily Archigram and DeBord.   As you have noted, there is a recent and fertile discourse in which architects themselves are steeped
 and which might well find our own current discussion to be somewhat, and hopefully, refreshingly naive!

As an aside, I don’t pretend to ownership of that silly phrase blobatecture
 its just one that has been thrown around so much ( and spelled/pronounced so differently)  in the past ten years or so that it verges on absurdity.  Its had more than it share of different spellings, etc
.but as you noted there has been a shadow of derision that follows it no matter where it goes!

I am glad to see that you have raised the LA architect, Neil Denari.  His somewhat underecognized work has been stimulating to me for years now.  I have used his work, such as “Interrupted Projections” Another Global Surface or Territorial Re-codings of the World Sheet”  as seminal texts in my digital media classes on Mapping since 1996.

And
 since there have been few, if any, women noted in this conversation, another architect whose work in the digital realm (again, mapping) is certainly worth noting is that of Laura Kurgan (http://www.l00k.org/) whom I believe is at Columbia and who’s firm is based in NYC.

Another collective architect/design studio (collaborative practioners) are FAT (http://www.fat.co.uk/) – out of the UK.  They have been dealing with digital tools, skill-sets and a rather idiosyncratic aesthetic of pop/hipster culture for years now.

Point in fact, their collective speaks to a burgeoning migration of architects from a professionalized, licensed positioning into that of the conventional categorization of designers (product – buildings as commodities - industrial and graphic) which is less risky from a liability/financial point of view.  Whatever the underlying directive of this migration, it may point to a more mutable embodiment of Buckminster Fuller’s proposal of a comprehensive designer, a creator who would embody “ an emerging synthesis of artist, inventor, mechanic, objective economist and evolutionary strategist.”

But returning to your concern re: architecture becoming more interactive – you state that architecture involves dialogue
 well, yes
. but the very nature and framing of that dialogue begs the issue, no?   And who is to say that evolving mobile and locative technologies will not (reciprocally) inform us as to how a building is built or permutates throughout a lifetime.  They already are doing so.  If one were to consider only the plethora of technologies being embedded into building due to amped up security issues – these building are going live to be sure
 (http://www.asisonline.org/education/programs/noframe/2006seminar/default.html).
BUT, they are doing so following the embedded conventions and tenets of security risk management, which, as we know, is an inscripted dialogue (rather a monolog impersonating a dialogue
 which, then again is true of a significant percentage of interactive “experiences.”)

So
 is it, once again, simply a question of a re-purposing of technologies generated and handed down by the military or corporate America.  Or, as it seems you are suggesting, is it that architects/artist need to advance these developments ahead of the military –industrial curve?

The process by which buildings are constructed will likely shift dramatically once these " invisible" technological influences enter in to the process of design and survive into the post –occupancy phase
 and then all we have to do is consider the planned obsolensce aspect of building
 and the process begins once again.

Ciao,

Chris