[iDC] A special request for the Architecture and Situated Technologies moderators (plus a note on the role of nostalgia in Situationism)

Anne Galloway anne at plsj.org
Wed Sep 27 08:52:43 EDT 2006

Dear Trebor, Omar and Mark

I've been very impressed by the quantity and quality of recent
discussion but I must admit that I'm having a very difficult time
following all the conversations and sorting out recurrent - or divergent
- themes that may or may not be relevant to the upcoming symposium.

I understand that not everyone on the list will be attending the event,
but I do suspect that most readers have direct and indirect interests in
the topics at hand.  I also acknowledge that we're all busy people,
which sometimes makes explicit and regular interaction with the list
discussions difficult.

Given these situations, would it be possible for one or more of the
moderators to please step into the fray more frequently to provide
summaries that can help (re)orientate those of us who may have lost
sight of where we're going - and have gone - with all of this?

I hate to think of all the extraordinary thinking that I've missed - and
I, for one, would love the opportunity to re-engage specific questions
or concerns.

Thanks so much for your consideration.

Cheers,
Anne

PS - Yesterday on the plane home I read an interesting article from the
latest issue of Theory, Culture & Society that some people on the list
might appreciate given recent discussions.  Alastair Bonnett's "The
Nostalgias of Situationist Subversion" deals specifically with the role
of nostalgia in the idea of the spectacle and the critique of urbanism.
It made me think of the role of nostalgia in the development and
deployment of pervasive computing...*
*

--
Anne Galloway