[iDC] Cities, Speculation, and the Non-addressable

mafox mafox at foxlin.com
Tue Sep 26 23:58:16 EDT 2006

I as well have been quite interested in the recent posts by Mark, Usman,
Omar, etc.   I hope it does not digress to "fetish of form-making" once
again.
I was thinking that that the symposium could be a good opportunity to
reconcile some of the terms that seem to constantly turn up every day on
this list and recently the architectural community at large.

"Smart Environments"
"Intelligent Environments"
"Reactive Architecture"
"Interactive Architecture"
"Smart Architecture"
"Embedded Architecture"

It seems I could define a recent project with any one of the terms above
with a hazy generalized satisfaction, and I am sure there would be those who
object because they have a specific definition of whatever term I might
choose. Architects are great at borrowing language for innovation in the
field and then we always seem to redefine the term.

Inspired by Mark
"Still another might concern language. For example, the words
"intelligence" and "programming" mean something different to computer
scientists than they do to most architects."

Perhaps a good first step in profiling the future might lie in coming to
some consensus of the language to define it. Go to an AAAI (American
Association for Artificial Intelligence) "Intelligent Environments"
symposium and you will understand the confusion.