[iDC] The Internet of hypocrisy (for Lucas)

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 20 15:58:42 EDT 2006

Isn't there a strong chance that the discussion of the
Internet of Things is just an excuse not to talk about,
think about, touch the things that aren't connected to any
kind of profesional fetishization, any kind of academic
bandwagon, any kind of corporate payoff for the shrinking of
your self to a normalized and gadgetized ego-on-a-leash?

Ryan points to the discussion on the empyre list - there's a
fascinating post there from Lucas Bambozzi, I copy it below.

Lucas agonizes at night after his telco-sponsored opening,
wondering as to whether the mobile aesthetics to which he's
devoting part of his time as an artist and a curator isn't
just a cover for the mainstream offer of private-to-private
communications sold as a lucrative commercial supplement, to
be taken by the paying customer in small-screen doses in
order to compensate for the public life and raw realities
that you can't have in dangerous cities with wildly unequal
class relations, like Sao Paulo, Lima or Johannesburg.

The question in itself seems to be its own answer. Which is
also its integrity. But one can ask whether artists,
intellectuals, and cultural operators in the more
well-policed cities are not just using technological
brain-candy to divert their attention from the absence of
any perspective for a change in the things that matter?

Lucas, why bother? You're a brilliant guy. Why not go
public? Why get hooked on these telcos? Careers become a
habit. A habit becomes a habitus. It's something not just to
think about. You've clearly thought it out.

****