[iDC] reading list // religious mediated spaces

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Mon Sep 11 10:04:06 EDT 2006

This debate touches on one of the few things that keeps me awake nights -
the conflict between phenomenologically derived relativist thought and
material rationalism.

These are not necessarily polar opposites as this depends on how extreme or
purist you take either of these positions. Nevertheless, it is a tension.
Perhaps this represents a necessary stress that contributes to creativity.

My usual fix on this (only a fix, not a carefully argued conclusion) is to
accept a "good enough at this time" solution. That is, phenomenology
suggests that no amount of verified data is ever going to prove anything due
to our not knowing for sure that it (or anything else) is real. However,
stuff seems to exist and science seems to verify this as, at the very least,
a very convincing shared hallucination (at least better than any other
method). To me that seems good enough at this time to be getting on with
things - although I retain the right to say it was all in my mind.

Regards

Simon