FW: [iDC] reading list // religious mediated spaces

Stallabrass, Julian Julian.Stallabrass at courtauld.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 09:20:38 EDT 2006

I know that this is how we are meant to think in humanities-world, and that it makes us feel warm and comfortable inside, but I wonder...

Objectivity died with quantum physics, and any statement is dependent on its language. Yes to both, up to a point; but quantum physics is not contradictory in its mathematical formulation (Feynman is good on this), only when that is translated into words, so maybe one statement cuts against the other.

Kuhn underestimates the extent to which scientific ideas build on each other; his classic case--of relativity--really works against his argument, since Newtonian physics was retained (and is still of course used) in many situations. And, of course, scientists (like anyone else) are often conservative and like to defend ideas they have put a lot of work into. So what? At least they have more of an idea than many in the humanities about what counts as a counter-example, and theories do get discredited.

In a way this argument reflects those in theory of photography, in which it was rightly said that photographs are never entirely objective; they reflect the subjectivities of their makers and users; they are ideological, and so on. But does this mean that there is no objective element present at all, as some theorists of the 1970s onwards would have us believe? That we wouldn't rather have a UFO sighting recorded by a group of amateur photographers than amateur watercolourists?

Likewise with science, if you really believe there is no objectivity there (as Gellner put it) you have the problem of explaining how we moved from being five thousand years ago a few scattered roving bands of scavengers to corresponding globally like this now.

Regards

Julian