[iDC] reading list // religious mediated spaces

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sat Sep 9 06:38:48 EDT 2006

No, you misunderstand the issue I was addressing here.

The development of technology can be seen as independent to the development
of science. Science may be regarded as an ethical framework concerning how
we approach our knowledge of the world and deal with that socio-culturally.
It is in clear opposition to other models, including those associated with
mystical traditions, such as religion.

Technology as praxis has a different history to science and is not bound to
it. It was just as important during pre-modern times as it has been since
the emergence of science as the dominant ethical framework in the West. In
this respect the origins of technology are not in 19thC rationalist
standardisation but are to be found in manifold traditions.

The issue of intent - that the value of technology is a function of how it
is used - is thus irrelevant in this context.

I would agree with you that the social application of technological
metaphors to social organisation, as we have seen it in the past century
(what is often referred to as Taylorism), is a product of such a 19thC
philosophical framework. However, this is not a function of technology and
nor is technology a function of it. Taylorism was more to do with
industrialisation and the requirement for large populations to be organised
more or less as forced labour. This was a social process, not a
technological one, and more closely connected to scientific ethics than
technoligical praxis.

Regards

Simon