[iDC] reading list // religious mediated spaces

Gere, Charlie c.gere at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Sep 8 01:33:13 EDT 2006

Another point while I am thinking about this. One of the great rivals to Christianity was Gnosticism which saw the universe and matter as essentially evil and encouraged the search for a divine spark within each person. St Augustine was originally a gnostic for repudiating it for Christianity. Hans Blumenberg sees the emergence of modernity and science as a failure to overcome gnosticism while Eric Voegelin sees all modernity as gnostic. Erik Davis has written about the gnostic nature of modern technoculture, while Slavoj Zizek has railed against what he sees as the gnosticism in much new age spirituality, western buddhism etc... against which, as a marxist atheist, he proclaims the need to preserve the christian legacy.

I think that digital technology is a product of and a manifestation of this kind of gnosticism, especially in relation to the virtualisation of the self and of community and wonder whether social networks and locative media are an extension of this, or offer the possibility of a return to a stronger sense of the importance of embodiment and physical community, manifested in phenomena such as the eruv or the eucharist, that i think is a prerequisite for a more ethical form of life