[iDC] Re: Interactive City: irrelevant mobile entertainment?

mafox mafox at foxlin.com
Wed Sep 6 19:30:58 EDT 2006

Mark/
Thanks - I suppose this conversation is really messing up the subject thread
- but -
I had two calls today - one from CNN and another from Linda Weintraub
writing some book -(not a typical PR day at all) what is notable is that
both are writing on responsive systems and sustainability, or active
sustainable solutions, whatever you may want to call it. The point is that
mainstream public has (as we all know) become fascinated with the impact of
architecture with respect to sustainability and responsive environments
seems to be an interesting solution in this area.  Most of what I am
familiar with in practical terms of responsive environments (I prefer
interactive - but am not that's semantics) has come out of the military, the
elderly (gerontechnology) and the physically disabled.  Of course this is
who is paying for the research - and in that order.  Entertainment (artistic
explorations and of course home automation are still pioneering a lot but
are not nearly as well funded unless directly related to the above.  To get
back to the point at the start though, sustainable applications are easy if
you can learn so justify them through a long-term life cycle analysis (LCA)
Basic passive sustainable systems in architecture can be optimized and more
efficient in terms of operational costs savings over time - yet they are
always going to be more expensive up front.  The numbers do make sense if
you can demonstrate to a client that down the road they can recoup that
initial investment. And I personally feel better creating environments that
enable future generations to have a comfortable planet to live on, rather
than creating comfortable environments for existing generations to live
longer in.  (nnnnnnnn - that was pretty good)
/michael