[iDC] reading list

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:29:17 EDT 2006

Lots of new and familiar lists here...
some fiction that i've been really influenced by lately, just trying
to get caught up on my feminist sci-fi, is Octavia Butler's _Parable
of the Sower_ and Exogenesis trilogy. (i know, i'm really, really
behind)
Of course there's all kinds of great theory coming out  (and already
out for a while), much of which has been listed here... but i have
gotten quite a bit from Butler's imaginative interpretation of a
"long emergency" imbedded in the racialized and gendered spaces we
already inhabit. It's no wonder Mike Davis mentions her work in the
_Ecology of Fear_. And with the discussion of poetics (thanks to the
Raqs folks) coming up on empyre, her insinuation of the aesthetic is
extremely interesting to me.
Anything recent by Bruno Latour is also at the top of my list (if you
don't get any books, just check out what he has online
http://www.ensmp.fr/~latour/
)
ryan