[iDC] Situated Bibliography and some film.

Martin Lucas mlucas at igc.org
Mon Sep 4 17:14:33 EDT 2006

This list is inspirational.  Here are some offerings including:

The Social Construction of Technological Systems
New directions in the Sociology and History of Technology
Ed. Wiebe E. Bijker, Thomas P. Hughes, and Trevor Pinch
MIT Press, Cambridge, London 1987.
Many good articles including Hughes on The Evolution of Larger
Technological Systems and Missile Acccuracy: A Case Study in the
Social Processes of Technological Change. Donald MacKenzie.

American philosophy of technology : the empirical turn / edited by
Hans Achterhuis ; translated by Robert P. Crease. Bloomington :
Indiana University Press, 2001
This covers half a dozen Americans from Ihde to Winner from the POV
of half a dozen of their Dutch collegues.  I found this a very useful
text.  .

After-Images of the City Ed. Joan Ramon Resina and Dieter
Ingenschay.  Cornell U. Press, Ithaca, London, 2003.
This book examines  how knowledge and public views of the city are
formed and mediated.  Essays by Resina, Harvey, Jürgen Schlaeger and
others looking at London, Berlin, Tijuana.  One of the books referred
to is:
Liquid City  Marc Atkins and Iain Sinclair which is an  intriguing
collaboration between the photographer and the avante garde
novelist.  ‘Walks for their own sake, furiously enacted, but lacking
agenda.” Reaktion Books, London 1999.

Situationist City Simon Sadler,  MIT Press, Cambridge, London, 1998.
A look at the relationship between situationist thought, urbanism,
architectural theory.  (My interest was sparked by an exhibit of
Constant’s drawings at the Cobra Museum in Amstelveen.)

London by Patrick Keiller is a film meditation on Thatcherite
London.  That film and a kind of sequel, Robinson in  Space are key
texts for me.  Keiller is an architect whose understanding of the
relationship between the image, the built world, economics and power
is unique in film.  A book version of Robinson in Space is avaiable
from Reaktion as well.

best,

Marty Lucas