[iDC] reading list

Gere, Charlie c.gere at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 13:55:26 EDT 2006

I have been doing some fairly intense reading over the Summer, though more in the area of theology and theologically-inflected philosophy, which has extremely interesting and pertinent connections to questions of media, language etc... This reading will almost certainly contribute to whatever I present in New York in October. Among the books, chapters and essays I have been reading or are about to read are the following

Reading List

Religion and Media, edited by Hent de Vries and Samuel Weber; especially the introduction, “Deconstructing Christianity” by Jean-Luc Nancy, “Above All, No Journalists!” by Jacques Derrida, “Religion, Repetition, Media” by Samuel Weber, and “Luther with McLuhan” by Manfred Schneider

Acts of Religion by Jacques Derrida, edited by Gil Andjar; especially “Faith and Knowledge”, “Force of Law” and “Les Tours de Babel”

The Gift of Death by Jacques Derrida

After Writing by Catherine Pickstock

Paul by Alain Badiou

The chapter on Pascal from Alain Badiou’s Being and Event

Belief and After Christianity by Gianni Vattimo

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning by Rene Girard

Violence and Difference: Girard, Derrida and Deconstruction by Andrew McKenna

Cities of God by Graham Ward

Barth, Derrida and the Language of Philosophy by Graham Ward

The Eucharist in the Reformation: Incarnation and Liturgy by Lee Palmer Wandel

God without Being, Being Given, and In Excess by Jean-Luc Marion

The Fragile Absolute by Slavoj Zizek