[iDC] Re: reading list

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 1 17:34:03 EDT 2006

Hello Omar,

No I don't that book, thanks for the tip. I'm actually an
ignoramus in this area, just got very curious as my
attention came to focus on that peculiar post-WWII
atmosphere that Bush, Cheney and their administration seem
to hark back to with such horrid insistence. I will check it
out, sounds good. Basically I think there have been 2 main
phases, a "closed world" electrical engineering based period
where the primary issue is identifying, tracking and
targetting (that's the history I am trying to catch up on)
and from the 70s onward a second phase, somewhat more
familiar, corresponding to "second-order cybernetics" and
complexity theory, which became the operative ideology of
the globalization decades (80s and 90s, Nigel Thrift makes
the operative side of it very clear in his book Knowing
Capitalism). Really interesting people like Bateson and
Guattari are at the hinge between these two periods, it
seems. But such figures contributed to the worst of
globalization (eg Mandelbrot with his work on finance) and
at the same time, they helped us forget that the logistics
(ex: air travel) that runs the whole show is still from the
first military-dominated period. So the present really does
look like a return of the repressed! The figure that
interests me most in the first period is Jay Wright
Forrester, inventor of the Whirlwind computer and developer
of the SAGE radar-defence perimeter in the 50s, who after
his military years became a kind of prophet of
cyberneticized industrial management. I am waiting to get
his Urban Dynamics, where he applies his cybernetic
management principles to cities, and discovers, among other
things, that welfare is a bad policy and ought to be
scrapped....

best, Brian